Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots Turn Down 30% Increase over Five Years And A $3,000 Signing Bonus Per Pilot At

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you trail inflation for years on end, then just making up for inflation isn't actually a payraise!

jetblue did the exact same thing, I now make, adjusted for inflation, what I did 5 or 6 years ago. In order for it to work, you have to end up ahead of inflation once in a blue moon or get a COLA raise every year that offsets inflation.

I'm making $.67 more an hour in real pay now than I was making in '97. Sick...I know. Lead the way, Spirit pilots! Draw, and HOLD the Line! We're behind you!

(BTW--I've been other places and ridden the ride up and down and this is where the Industry has landed me. I'm not bitching, just saying what we were doing 10-15 years ago is exactly where we are again. It has to STOP! No more subsidizing low ticket costs (and MGT pockets!) with our pay!)

Proud UNION airline crew!

I'm pretty sure if I get a 30% raise, from that point on, I am getting 30% more money, but maybe thats just me...
It's not a 30% raise up front.

It's a 30% raise spread out over 5 years. That's 6% per year, BUT,,, that's not in a pure hourly rate. Spirit management is incorporate all the other pieces of the puzzle that ADD UP to 6%.

So if you look at it from the perspective of a Spirit pilot that hasn't had a Cost of Living raise in 4 years, and you add the 6% per year to their current rate, they still lose .5% (half a percent) of their income per year from increased cost of living.

At the end of 4 more years (2014), they're making 4% LESS than they were making back in 2006 when compared to actual spending power of that money.

Until there's a net GAIN of *SOME* sort, I don't blame them for turning it down... YMMV

would baldanza play the BK ch11 card in anyone's opinion as the nuclear option...to buy time and maybe hire a new cadre? is that conceivable? for a guy that wanted to charge for carry ons...it's in the sphere of where he operates...

Spirit is financed by investors Oaktree and Indigo. It's not Baldanza's sole call. If the investors want to write off the hundreds of millions they invested and invest in new millions of legal fees to unwind, sobeit. They would be bigger fools than anyone could imagine.

i wonder what the rules of ch11 are? there is no commandment stock has to be erased....or the new stock would go to indigo and oaktree at such level so as to replace or make them whole.....if the airline continues, it would have been cheaper to have just doubled the offer of 70 to 140 mil? right? what will it cost to using the current offer's math of 70 mil to make you guys whole or happy? trying to understand dollars and cents...are you close at all?

Spirit will be out of business soon. Who's going to take over their flying? Airtran or Jetblue?

Last edited:
What does the companies balance sheet look like? I mean has it made any money, is there growth in the $9 a flight but pay $50 bucks for a carryon bag?

Is there any reason why the leasing company wouldn't be willing to put say the next 2 or 3 months of lease payments on the back end of Spirit's leases considering the circumstances? They do it all the time nowadays with mortgages and car loans and I'm sure the leasing company would rather extend the leases vs. repo'ing planes at a major loss.

Has any other airline done this in a strike situation in the past?

Latest resources

Back