• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atpcliff

This is from Boeing's report on ME Airlines:

Expansion hitch

"Our airline customers tell us that a global pilot shortage is hampering growth plans and that they are struggling to find enough pilots to fly new routes and to add flights to existing routes.

I realize that the pilot shortage is least in the US, so the effects we are seeing here in the US now are nothing like what they are seeing in China and the ME, which are the worst off now. Positive effects for US pilots will be more obvious in coming months/years.

Cliff
GRB

Positive effects for US pilots will be more obvious in coming months/years.

If by positive you mean it will be very easy to find crap jobs then yes; if you are under the illusion that somehow wages will rise and schedules will improve you are wrong.

In Asia pilot salaries have been on the rise (for some jobs) for over two years. Schedules have also been improving in the last 6 months or so (for some jobs).

cliff
GRB

If by positive you mean it will be very easy to find crap jobs then yes; if you are under the illusion that somehow wages will rise and schedules will improve you are wrong.

It sure has increased pay and improved working conditions all over Asia. now $18,000/month contracts are pretty common as opposed to only 5 years ago where just a handful of companies were paying those salaries, also commuting business class, taxes paid in the host country, non type rated DEC positions, these are some of the things that more companies have had to adopt to attract qualified candidates. Interesting times for contract work

Suggest you do a little research. Even three years ago $10k/month was the standard for most Asia contracts on the A320. Now those same jobs are regularly over $15k. The pay is rising, and basing options are getting more flexible as well.

I would also recommend that folks apply to jobs even if they have minimums published with "type and time on type" required on them, I've had several friends that have landed DEC positions without the type or time on the A./C in jobs that had that on their minimums, I know there are a lot of guys out there with 10K plus hours, check airman letters, 6K jet pic on CRJ 900's and similar that are not applying because they feel they will be automatically disqualified, APPLY and see what happens. Also you see that all of the jobs abroad publish as a requirement "no history of accidents or incidents" what I have found out is that they really care about accidents or incidents on transport category A/C's, some guys out there don't apply because they had a gear collapse on a Seneca or something 20 years ago, I'm an example of that because I had an oil pump failure in a 172 in the early 90's and had to ditch the thing in the ocean, as soon as I came to that requirement it stopped the application process on its tracks, but my father was the one who suggested to apply anyway and see what happens, sure enough, they cared more about listening to the story during the interview than the accident itself. APPLY, there are some good alternatives to the rat race 6 legers days

This is from Boeing's report on ME Airlines:

I realize that the pilot shortage is least in the US, so the effects we are seeing here in the US now are nothing like what they are seeing in China and the ME, which are the worst off now. Positive effects for US pilots will be more obvious in coming months/years.

Cliff
GRB
\\\\

you will never see a pilot shortage in the US at the major level.....regionals yes

I did not, but this particular gig has been non type rated for a while now and the point I wanted to make is that there are more now.

I understand. I didn't communicate my point clearly, which was apply if you wanted the job, type or no type. You being an example of it working out.
P.S. Radial engines still suck.

Latest resources

Back