Pilot jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Latko

I've been away from this board for a long time and just wanted to know how your jobs are going. I decided to leave the profession awhile back and pursue a doctorate in physical therapy so I really haven't paid attention to the aviation industry. Is it still hard to acquire employment or are you finding it easier to get jobs now? I search job boards once in awhile and it seems there are more jobs now than there have been since 9/11. Is this accurate? It doesn't seem to be the case where I live b/c I still instruct a little and I have noticed the student enrollment is way down. Maybe its different elsewhere. Anyway, I just wanted to know if things are improving for you guys or not.
Take care and good luck.

gkrangers said:
Just about everyone here has a crappy job that they hate and wish they never started a career in aviation.

Thats your answer...
And I will say..not me, and not here.

That's your OTHER answer...;)

gkrangers said:
I said just about....I'm sure theres 2 or 3 people that enjoy their jobs and don't want to become Dentists!! :D
After reading this thread, I am soooooo depressed... Anyone got a rope? :)

Happy

I graduated college Dec. 13, 03 . I make 32,500 a year, not bad for 1st year pay. i am home everyday , i get a 4 day weekend every weekend and I am happy. Love being a freight dog. I guess i am one or the 2 or 3.

I love my job. I fly an airplane.

English said:
I love my job. I fly an airplane.
I'd have to echo that sentiment. When I get frustrated, I just imagine what it would be like to be stuck in a cube for the rest of my career!

As far as the origional question... Yes, there is a lot of hiring going on, especially at the regional level. Things are still competitive, but seem a lot better than they were 2 years ago.

That pretty much sums it up. If being in an airplane is the one and only key to your happiness, well, you'll be happy. It's like a sick freakish fettish. Those people, and the universities and schools trying to push their product, perpetuate the myth this is a good career and sucker the rest of us into it.

Most humans, however, don't enjoy leaving their family for days or weeks at a time. Most also enjoy earning a secure livable wage so they can provide for themselves and their children. Those people find themselves unhappy in this horror of a career.

To answer your question, yes jobs are becomming easier to find. Mostly because the path to a decent flying job is even more treacherous than ever and it's getting worse over time. Take a look at salaries compared to inflation, even at the majors, over the last 30 years.

Do yourself a favor, find a real career and go rent a cessna on the weekend. If you're really successful you could even buy one.

Latest resources

Back