Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PILOT CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR AIR CARRIER OPERATIONS- Public Comment Process

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JonnyKnoxville

http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/home.html#documentDetail?R=0900006480a8faeb

Your chance to submit your comments. Here is what I wrote:

As an Airline Pilot, I strongly feel that this proposed rule does not go far enough! A pilot with 1500 hours is a very new pilot with limited experience. The Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certificate (which requires 1500 hours) should be an absolute minimum qualification to earn money as a pilot in any pilot position throughout this country without exception. The fact that pilots who only hold a commercial pilot certificate can fly an aircraft for compensation needs to be addressed. There just is not enough training that has taken place for a pilot to take on the added pressures of flying for compensation when their training base and operational knowledge are so limited.

Furthermore, I am outraged to hear that exceptions are being considered to protect the universities and flight schools that have aviation programs. An aviation educational program and it's financial success should not be of a higher concern than that of the flying public's safety! The idea of having programs with training exemptions built into them is just a loophole that would put inexperienced pilots in an airline's flight deck. Just because someone reads books and takes test in a classroom on flying does not mean that he/she is capable of flying an airplane. Even with today's modern flight simulators and advanced training technics, nothing replaces the real-world experience of being trained in the flight deck of a real aircraft.

I strongly feel that these changes must take place to advance aviation safety especially at a time when many highly experienced pilots are starting to retire. Please feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss this issue in greater detail.

Wouldnt it make sense to require an Airline Transport Pilot Certificate to fly an Airline Transport Category aircraft? Flying SIC for a 121 carrier should require the ATP, but they ATP cert needs some serious overhaul too in terms of min requirements (areas of operating experience) in addition to knowledge requirements (its a freakin joke that you can purchase the Gleim and have every question word-for-word to pass the written).

The commercial pilot certificate reqs should stay right where they are, and it should be kept as a license for those who want to work in other areas of the aviation industry (CFI, banner tow, night freight/light twin, small corp aircraft, etc).

Also- goto http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/home.html#home and search for FAA-2010-0100. Then click the submit comments to add your 2cents. If you download the actual docket it references specific questions they want to hear comments about (use the question numbers when submitting comments)

Why did you post this in both forums. I said it there, and I'll say it here. If you require 1500 hours to get paid for any flying job, then everyone would have to pay out of pocket for 1500 hours of flying time.

military guys get paid to fly, do they need 1500 hours before getting certified?

They also get paid to train. 1500 hours seems low to fly in combat but some on here would know more about the military flying than I would. I was referring to civilian training. When a military pilot comes out of the military with a full career and looking for an airline job I would hope he/she has 1500 total time.

Why did you post this in both forums. I said it there, and I'll say it here. If you require 1500 hours to get paid for any flying job, then everyone would have to pay out of pocket for 1500 hours of flying time.

WRONG! The airlines would have to pay to get someone to 1500 hours.

Just like doctors who come out of Med school with an average of $200,000 in student loan debt have hospitals that offer to pay that debt back if the doctor agrees to go to work for that hospital.

Higher pilot requirements in Europe caused airlines in Europe to hire pilots with zero time and train them all the way through.

Supply and Demand

Right now, there is a major oversupply of pilots that continue to drive down wages and benefits.

If that supply is limited by raising the barriers to enter this career, pilots will be in higher demand and upward pressure would be placed on pay and benefits.

Last edited:
Supply and Demand

Right now, there is a major oversupply of pilots that continue to drive down wages and benefits.

If that supply is limited by raising the barriers to enter this career, pilots will be in higher demand and upward pressure would be placed on pay and benefits.

Beware the laws of unintended consequences. Higher pay means less jobs. We are seeing that play out currently with mainline vs regional carrier outsourcing. If those regional are forced to raise pay then who will they outsource to? Nobody. Instead those routes will disappear and the demand for pilots will disappear (creating a new glut of pilots, vicious circle).

Beware the laws of unintended consequences. Higher pay means less jobs. We are seeing that play out currently with mainline vs regional carrier outsourcing. If those regional are forced to raise pay then who will they outsource to? Nobody. Instead those routes will disappear and the demand for pilots will disappear (creating a new glut of pilots, vicious circle).

Then create away.......then only the best most qualified will get the seat and the pay will hold as it does in every other "real" job in America. experience, work ethic, and ambition = pay.... not date you got hired (except in this industry...a little bass ackwards!

1500 and an ATP for 121. No exceptions.

Latest resources

Back