• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Caught With Loaded Handgun at Calgary Airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are we certain he even used KCM? Some airports drive crews right to the terminal (past security) from the parking lot.

Where's that?^^^

SLC is KCM and I've never passed one up unless it's a terminal away.
That said- no. Could've been a commuter- I just don't want to believe the TSA would miss a gun through the xray when they catch my toothpaste every time I travel out of uniform
:rolleyes:

Well TSA Chicago took my water but left my all metal, with blade (home construction) box cutter. All a roll of the dice.

Apparently, never been to canada before?
Not a friendly country for personal possession
Of handguns. Definitely asked upon entry...
Any Tabacco or Firearms to declare?

He knew he had it/packed it on morning of
Return flight. Should have used Fedex/UPS
And hoped it didnt get xrayed and tossed
The ammo. Will likely do time in Canada.
Betting there is a fresh opening at SKW.

100-1/2

You go through security in the lot in den, then get on the bus

You bypass security at ATL with a SIDA.

Sure, let's discuss the places and techniques on how to bypass security on a public forum... Who could possibly be reading and how could they possibly use this info...

This is inexcusable no matter how you slice it. Maybe he forgot it...well he should be fired for Wong irresponsible. Maybe his scorned lover slipped it in his bag...he should be fired for trying to get it back across the border. Maybe somebody slipped it in his bag on the way to the airport, I'm pretty sure that's not true or that would have come out by now...but he should still be fired for not maintaining control of his bag. That may seem harsh but somebody slipping something into a crew members bag unknowingly is a frequent reason sited to continue to have us screened and probably the strongest argument from the forces against KCM. We are and should be held to a higher standard. Maybe this exact incident will not hinder KCM, but it certainly doesn't help.

KCM is NOT universally popular in the TSA. The airports with TSA management supporting the concept have already implemented or started to implement the program. It is now a struggle to get new airports to see the benefits of implementing the program.

For example, Alaska ALPA/Management have just had a meeting with the TSA in PDX trying to get the managers in PDX to see the good in KCM. This effort involved flying in security people from ALPA national as well as bringing in TSA managers from other airports to offer the benefits that they saw. I fear those efforts may have been thwarted by this knuckle-head.

Firing may seem harsh, but this is serious. This is not forgetting to call for the gear until the gear horn goes off...this is yanking the handle up while the airplane is on the ground.

Last edited:
The fact is we're all human and all make mistakes. Our mistakes are different, but accidental none the less, and we're all throwing him under the bus. How would we want to be treated if we forgot to carry our cert and medical, or made some other honest mistake? This guy made a mistake, stupid as it was, and the Canadian government is treating him like a criminal. Probably because of their stance on handguns and the fact that they don't like us using KCM prior to arrival to CA. They also don't like the FFDO and FAM programs, which is why they don't Cooperate with the FFDO program.

He committed a crime in Canada, so he is by definition, a criminal. As a sovereign nation, Canada has every right in the world to have the stance they do on handguns. Just as we Americans apply our laws to foreign visitors to our nation, Americans are bound by the laws of the nation they visit. You are notified as such in your passport.

Listen, even if this was an honest mistake, it was a very stupid one. If you are going to take on the responsibility of owning a handgun, then you also assume the responsibility of knowing how to take care of it, where it is located, how to properly handle it, and the laws and regulations of the places you carry it. If you cannot assume those responsibilities, do not buy a gun.

Latest resources

Back