Pilot Advice

J.Otto

Total Time
An acquaintence in his 30's is interested in getting back into flying. His time are around 700/20, but hasn't flown for a good 2-3 years. although his CFI hasn't expired, he still needs a medical, BFR, IPC and I suppose a checkout to instruct. It would appear some multi would be needed as well.

Any advice for this individual and what their chances are on getting hired at a regional say in 5-6 months from now? He feels a little old at this point and that there's a mountain of catch-up to be had. Which regional would be a good fit for this individual in terms of experience and age?

Pros and cons of pursuing an RJ job - is it worth it?

siucavflight

Back from the forsaken
Total Time
I will say it now, because everyone else will.

Tell him to stay with his job and fly for fun on the side.

Now how I really feel. I love this job and could never see myself doing anything different. Tell him to go for it.

mcleach71

I can fly, I'm pilot
Total Time
18+yrs
An acquaintence in his 30's is interested in getting back into flying. His time are around 700/20, but hasn't flown for a good 2-3 years. although his CFI hasn't expired, he still needs a medical, BFR, IPC and I suppose a checkout to instruct. It would appear some multi would be needed as well.

Any advice for this individual and what their chances are on getting hired at a regional say in 5-6 months from now? He feels a little old at this point and that there's a mountain of catch-up to be had. Which regional would be a good fit for this individual in terms of experience and age?

Pros and cons of pursuing an RJ job - is it worth it?
I am 36 and am living this exact scenario. I have 2100+TT, 500ME, an ATP, and was out of flying for 4.5 years. I start ground at RAH next Tuesday.

For me, I couldn't see myself doing my previous job for the next 28+ years, but I could easily fly in some capacity for that same timeframe. My wife and I have no kids, decent savings, low debt, and can relocate at will. My decision might have been more difficult if that was not the case.

Terry Hunter

Silence!
Total Time
<0>
An acquaintence in his 30's...He feels a little old at this point ...
He is not too old, he has 25-30 years left in him, no? I've heard stories of 60+ who were forced out last year starting over again now 65 is in.

Skaff

Total Time
5000+
A regional airline is no way of "getting back into flying". Go get some currency, then ask what to do next.

BigPappa

Name is Mitch Buchannon
Total Time
Mucho!
I 2nd that comment prior to this one. You will not know what hit you when you show for training.

cargoflyr69

V-Dub for Life
Total Time
5000+
A regional airline is no way of "getting back into flying". Go get some currency, then ask what to do next.
Why not let that regional airline finance his "getting current?" as long as there isn't a monster training contract stick around for 6-12 months get some good experience and go corporate if thats where he wants to go...

DrProc

Total Time
Why not let that regional airline finance his "getting current?" as long as there isn't a monster training contract stick around for 6-12 months get some good experience and go corporate if thats where he wants to go...
Because there is a good chance that he may wash out of training because he isn't current. He will then have to explain that blackmark in every interview.

Amish RakeFight

Registered Loser
Total Time

I think the poster was asking what hiring would be like in 5-6 months after they get current and obtain some multi.

siucavflight

Back from the forsaken
Total Time
Hiring will come to a screeching halt in the next 4-5 months. With the price of fuel things are going to get very bad.