• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Still, they're old...

Just like their pilot group...

Sure enough!

So is the contract. Ancient. I've heard someone broke guarantee halfway through the month- that's old school, too. On reserve. At a piece of crap 67 an hour.

Crap wages, to be sure. But I'd guess that's more than, say, being unemployed. Especially on them old Dash 8s.

While it is nowhere as awesome as being furloughed from a jet, it beats the hell out of being furloughed from a jet.

So show up and stay current, make some friends and a little paycheck, and be a chooser when you are no longer a beggar and adios when you are released from the Amistad-PDT.

Coolest pilots I've ever known, Jurassic, Cretaceous, or otherwise.

Well it will probably be a Dash 8 crew flying a RJ crew from the Desert when those things are all parked.
Dash 8 is a great Airplane to fly.

So, so true.

I heard the 300 rumor from training two weeks ago. We'll see.

Whats up with them prefering an aviation degree?

I'm not sure.

I think it has something to do with turning on the STORM/DOME lights in night IMC when you're maneuvering around thunderstorms.

I guess it makes you less inclined to do it again, since they were brave/stupid enough to do it before?

Or maybe another "there I was, flying the BE200 into ORD" stories the CA love to hear?

We never run short of those, but new sources of the same story keeps it spicy.

I personally adore the "well, I was on the flying team...."

They RULE! So awesome. I know they can handle the radios, mostly. Well, not mostly. But they try so hard.

******For clarification- the recent grads from the "big" aviation universities have lost the knowledge of the most important part of doing this for a living- just because you learned it on the ground, doesn't mean you know it for life OR it applies in the air, ever. That's all. Older grads? Teach me a lot, and I appreciate it.

Guess I've had a phenomenally awesome month NOT flying with "How do we do the approach?" folks.

Back to your regularly scheduled whatnots. I'm personally hoping we are a roughly soft landing for all the folks that have been furloughed and are willing to work (slave) here, and I promise- you show up with 121 background? You'll have a blast.

********** Ahhh, hell. I see Lowly posted somewhere between my posts.

He freakin' rules. AND showed me the Tao of PBR. I'm older than him... barely... AND a grad of several universities. See kids? Come fly old planes, learn the old ways.

Last edited:
Piedmont is not hiring. There is no new-hire class scheduled. Piedmont has guys on furlough.

Piedmont also updated their hiring minimums last year (about this time) and everyone got excited. Nobody got hired.

You can't drink the kool-aid until Mom brings it home from the grocery store.

Curious what they are gonna say to sell the place. First it was RJ's! (nope), then it was Flowthru (nope). Now they are saying preferential hiring protocols in place with US Airways.

Actually for anyone that is furloughed its not a bad place to be. Contract and pay for equipment flown is pretty good.

Rumor is that PHX has given Piedmont the go ahead to aquire 10 more Dash 8 300s. I repeat Rumor!

not anymore, they reposted the job listing and removed the part about preferential hiring, curiously. In its place they say we offer a "benefits package"...damn, I'd hope health benefits would go without saying :-/

I'm not sure.

I think it has something to do with turning on the STORM/DOME lights in night IMC when you're maneuvering around thunderstorms.

I guess it makes you less inclined to do it again, since they were brave/stupid enough to do it before?

Or maybe another "there I was, flying the BE200 into ORD" stories the CA love to hear?

We never run short of those, but new sources of the same story keeps it spicy.

I personally adore the "well, I was on the flying team...."

They RULE! So awesome. I know they can handle the radios, mostly. Well, not mostly. But they try so hard.

******For clarification- the recent grads from the "big" aviation universities have lost the knowledge of the most important part of doing this for a living- just because you learned it on the ground, doesn't mean you know it for life OR it applies in the air, ever. That's all. Older grads? Teach me a lot, and I appreciate it.

Guess I've had a phenomenally awesome month NOT flying with "How do we do the approach?" folks.

I never understood these avia degree preferences. It really has nothing to do with the job. Your scrap book of CRJ and ERJ-175 presentations at Harvard of the skies, goes a long way in DAsh8 ground school... They should put they prefer people that have experience applying for food stamps and are able to get a good night sleep in the back of a plane or on a couch so as to be rested for the 5am show.

Latest resources

Back