Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BRA

Rollins Rules!
You have 4000 hours. 1000 PIC beech 1900. Zero jet time. What would be better for your career
: another 1000 PIC beech 1900 time, or 1000 RJ FO time? The goal is to make it to a company
flying larger equipment with better pay.

All the PIC time you can amass, that's what you want to get. The gear handle is no more complicated to raise and lower on an RJ than it is on a 1900. The decisions, however never stop needing to be made in either plane. Be the decision-maker as often as possible, I say. Go with the PIC.

go for TJ PIC

You may have to get out of the Pax business for awhile, but I would say you are a prime candiate for someplace you could make TJ PIC in a short time. Someplace like USA Jet, Ameristar, Cherry Air, etc. TJ PIC plus your 121 time should make you marketable to a number of the LCC's. And remember you do not need a college degree to get hired by the LCC's. TJ PIC will make the difference.

Depends on your goal

Different companies have slightly different requirements and you may have to decide a path that will be appealing to your number 1 choice but yet make you competitive for others that appeal to you. For example, if you want to go the SWA, you probably want more PIC turbine time. If you want to go to JetBlue, you will need an aircraft with a Higher Max Takeoff Gross Weight(>20,000 lbs). Since you have the Part 121 experience already, going to a Part 135 jet operation as a captain, might be a good move by getting the PIC jet. If that aircraft happens to be a Hawker or bigger (>20,000lbs), then you make yourself competitive for JBlue and SWA both. I would go to a Regional for the RJ job, if it was one where I thought the upgrade would be relatively quick (less than 2 years) ,otherwise, stay away from it. I had the same dilemma about a year ago and went with the PIC jet part 135, best decision ever...However, I do not have the Part 121 experience and I am excluded from companies that want the 121 experience (like Airtran, etc...). But these are choices that we make and we live with the consequences.

Oh well ... decisions, decisions...Good luck

Last edited:
Wait to upgrade on the Jet as PIC!

If you can hang on until you upgrade to jet Captain, you will continue building PIC turbine and that is what counts the most. Some companies due have weight requirements, eg. <100,000 lbs., etc., but that is what I would do.

thanks. I have just been wondering about this question because it isn't discussed on here much. I read that about 70 percent of regional pilots are now flying jet equipment. I would imagine that number is close to correct. A year or two down the road i could see companies laughing at a resume with 5000 hours and no jet time. No experience with FMS, auto pilot, jet engines. I know that in the last hiring boom companies didn't care. But what if they do during the next possible hiring boom? I would hate to not be competitive. I already have the 4 year degree. Someone posted to get jet pic. I know that....but any place you go to get that is a gamble of course. So i was wondering which would be more competitive? 5000 hours of which 1000 is beech 1900 121 PIC, and 1000 is RJ SIC, OR 5000 hours of which 2000 is beech 1900 121 PIC, and zero jet time. Thanks for the replies.

Swerpipe makes a good point. The only other things to think about are:

What is the future of the company you are working for right now? i.e. what if you got stuck there for a long time. Is there any other advancement in another airplane? If you could move up to the left seat of another jet there, then stay and sit on seniority without having to make a leap to the bottom of the list at another airline.
If not ........... bail. It sucks to have to start over but the way things are growing now you stand a better chance at bettering your resume and carreer elsewhere.

1000+ in a turboprop, (i think) is like scoring anything better than 70% on a private pilot written. Who gives a crap.

Get on a jet and get the heavier time for the apps. Always think of the worst case dooms day scenario, what if I get stuck here? Sittin in a beech or movin up the list on a jet to better pay and jet pic.

Good luck

Peace out

PIC turbine...... it matters not whether it's a jet or turboprop, except to your new hire, ex AF classmates when you get hired at one of the big boys..... ;)

Latest resources

Back