• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Piaggio ground handling

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe. Somebody recently asked me if I thought the Piaggio would be a good plane to go into short fields and I said yes based on my experience with Pratt powered twin beechcraft airplanes. But I see its a different animal. It uses as much runway as a jet.

It does that, but it also performs in the air like a jet. I did a trip once from MIA to MKE (average 40KT headwind component) in 4:03 with a 2200 lb fuel burn. Added bonus: the cabin is much larger and quieter than the CE560, which is my basis for comparison. It's a stand-up cabin for anyone up to 5' 9" tall.

Minimum Vref of 120KT without antiskid brakes accounts for the lack of short field capability.

Maybe. Somebody recently asked me if I thought the Piaggio would be a good plane to go into short fields and I said yes based on my experience with Pratt powered twin beechcraft airplanes. But I see its a different animal. It uses as much runway as a jet.

The narrow-chord wings that make us so efficient up high also cause us to eat up a lot of runway. More so on takeoff, but also to a lesser extent on landing as well. One of the airplane's less lovable quirks.

Incident? Not going to talk about it. Not now, and most likely not even after the NTSB gets through with this. Maybe only to defend my Company and our professionals against the more blatant doosh-baggery.

Please show some respect for your fellow pilots. Regardless of who signs our paychecks, we're all professionals here.

I haven't talked about the incident. We have had incidents. I believe it is a jinx to talk about someone else's incident.

Its a long winter ahead and I hate contaminated runways ... and always said I rather be in a turboprop going or leaving from them. But I think you may be in the same boat as we regarding runway performance ... which surprised me.

Latest resources

Back