pertinent aeronautical charts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sleddriver71

Can anyone tell me what "pertinent" aeronautical charts means? If I'm flying part 91 on a VFR day, does that mean I have to have a sectional? Does a WAC chart suffice, how about a TAC? Also under FAR 91.503, pertaining to flashlight batteries, what does "D" cells or the equivalent mean? I will accept all answers, sarcastic and serious.

Can anyone tell me what "pertinent" aeronautical charts means? If I'm flying part 91 on a VFR day, does that mean I have to have a sectional? Does a WAC chart suffice, how about a TAC? Also under FAR 91.503, pertaining to flashlight batteries, what does "D" cells or the equivalent mean? I will accept all answers, sarcastic and serious.
Given that a violation was "supposedly" issued to a jet crew who didn't want to wait for IFR delays, and so departed VFR without sectional/WAC/TAC charts, I would say that pertinent would require VFR charts for VFR flight in aircraft subject to 91.503. Of course, the reason that the FAA "supposedly" found out about it was that ATC didn't like the crew's handling of the situation, and called the FSDO to give them the flight's destination. Supposedly. Old wives' tales being what they are. And at the risk of being impertinent. ;)

As far as the equivalent to a D cell, I've been told by several pilots that their flashlight was "the equivalent", but none of them could tell me how they determined equivalency. I would say that it's a determination that needs to (and probably SHOULD, quite honestly) be made by FAA Legal. Me, I have my 2-D-cell Maglite/Copilot training tool within easy reach.

Fly safe!

David

Lets take the easy one first. The FAA has not determined officially what "equivalent" to a D cell flashlight is. I've been told it would be impossible "...because there are so many flashlights available. The best you could do, if asked by an inspector, is have the original packing which contains some statement like 'equivalent to a D cell flashlight'." Uh, sure. So is this really an area you want to challenge an inspector on? I prefer not too and therefore just go ahead and carry a flashlight with "D" cells in it to make the problem mute (my 3 "D"-cell Mag-Lite/CPD - Captain's Persuasion Device").

First question. Pertinent charts. Part 91 VFR does not require a pilot to carry charts, just to be "...familiar with all available information concerning the flight..." (91.103). However, every other operating section of 14 CFR does require current charts in the aircraft - part 91 subpart F (your 91.503), part 121, part 125, part 135, etc. However, not having current charts even under basic part 91 would probably run afoul of 91.13 Careless or reckless operation if an incident or accident was proven to be partially caused by lack of charts.

The FAA does describe it's opinion of pertinent charts in the AIM, Chapter 9, Aeronautical Charts and Related Publications. 9-1-4 provides a general description of each chart series, and in many cases the type of aircraft and/or operation it would be appropriate for. For example "...sectional charts are designed for visual navigation of slow to medium speed aircraft."

Last edited:
"Pertinent charts" are the ones you didn't have with you when you committed an airspace-related violation or had some other problem that you would have avoided if you had them.

(BTW, I assume you are flying a Part F aircraft/operation - otherwise 91.503 doesn't apply to begin with)

Latest resources

Back