• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Perspectives on an AirTran and SWA merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Okay, now I'm convinced you are an airline pilot poser, however, I will answer your question. Southwest would gain access to the worlds busiest airport, international operations, very cheap options on new 737s, more slots in LGA and DCA and most importantly eliminate a competitor. Again, if you were in any way involved in this industry these things would have been obvious.

They will get that on their own. It will take a longer time but eventually they will grow into it on their own. Why should they risk getting involved with your culture and become just like you. They will wait for somebody like Republic to buy you and then take some of your assets they want without all the problems. Good luck.

Glad to see AirTran Management's Useful Idiot is back. Well done Dick, you managed to slide in a jab at ATN ALPA with your post, the only entity that would try and protect you when SWAPA or any other airline tries to steamroller you. Your lack of respect for your fellow employees also shows your character. I know you think everything would be rosy and the grass would be greener if SWA bought us but I'm guessing you would still be miserable.

As for me and my choice of airlines, I'm from Atlanta and I didn't want to commute. That left me with two choices. AirTran interviewed and hired me first.

For the Southwest pilots, I will try and be more civil with my posts and not take the bait from the Southwest posers.

I think you may have some anger management issues. I 'm guessing the DAL psych test was a stumbling block.

Your reading comprehension could use some work. I'm not going to explain things again to you.

Best of luck. I would suggest Publix brand tin foil for your hat. Economical since you will be buying in bulk.

Oh yeah.... two more things;

1. You spelled Karma wrong. Ironic isn't it ?

2. The Braves suck. :laugh:

Last edited:
They will get that on their own. It will take a longer time but eventually they will grow into it on their own. Why should they risk getting involved with your culture and become just like you. They will wait for somebody like Republic to buy you and then take some of your assets they want without all the problems. Good luck.

Now I'm convinced you're a high school kid or just high. I'm sure after Republic magically raises the cash to buy us they would be more than happy to give some of our assets to SWA.

If Southwest "can get it" then why have they not taken it already? Answer, Southwest can't grow into every market that they want. Example, Delta, one of our biggest competitors decided to give us LGA slots rather than to SWA. Southwest could maybe get one or two gates in ATL but with only two, AirTran and Delta would go after them with a blow torch and a pair of pliers and get medieval on their a$$ just like with JetBlue. SWA will need a lot of gates to go toe to toe with the worlds biggest airline, and guess what, we have them.

I could go on and on but I feel like I'm talking with my teenage nephew. So, good luck to you kiddo, stay in school, work hard and don't do drugs!

Clever. Even the second time. In the face of such genius I concede.

It's a great song although I thing you may have missed it's meaning.

A shame.

You like Radiohead too?!? BTW, "Karma Police" was already taken by another user.........

Now I'm convinced you're a high school kid or just high. I'm sure after Republic magically raises the cash to buy us they would be more than happy to give some of our assets to SWA.

If Southwest "can get it" then why have they not taken it already? Answer, Southwest can't grow into every market that they want. Example, Delta, one of our biggest competitors decided to give us LGA slots rather than to SWA. Southwest could maybe get one or two gates in ATL but with only two, AirTran and Delta would go after them with a blow torch and a pair of pliers and get medieval on their a$$ just like with JetBlue. SWA will need a lot of gates to go toe to toe with the worlds biggest airline, and guess what, we have them.

I could go on and on but I feel like I'm talking with my teenage nephew. So, good luck to you kiddo, stay in school, work hard and don't do drugs!

SWA moves very slow but very careful. They have been doing this for over 30 years and for some reasosn they have made a profit for those 30+ years. Nobody can say anything about their business plan. It works.

They will wait in the dark and then jump out of nowhere and take the bait. You just need to hope that you are not on the menu. They will get slots in New York in due time and at a good price. As far as Atlanta goes they will take a place close to and near Atlanta without having to fight Delta or the other Regional (Air Tran )that operates there.

Keep thinking of me as your nephew. You would really be shiocked to find out who you are really chatting with. Have a good day.

To those AirTran pilots wishing to comment:

I'm seriously and respectfully asking for some pro/con points, concerns from AirTran pilots expressed unemotionally as to any possible merger/acquisitions of AirTran and SWA.

As a SWA CA I have my own perspective and about the topic and have discussed it with many other SWA pilots in lounges and on SWAPA forums. However, I would be very interested in what the thoughts are from the line flying AirTran pilots who may visit this forum.

Let me say I have the utmost respect for Citrus pilots, the product they deliver and their professionalism I've seen while commuting on them and while operating out of many of the same airports. A great group of pilots in my opinion.

I'm not privy to any inside SWA info nor trying to flamebait for entertainment purposes but rather interested in the line perspective on the various topics:

1. Integration expectations, what's tolerable and what is not.
2. Fences (if any around domiciles, dealing with the 717 differences and your recommendations if a merger was to go forward)
3. Timing of discussions, i.e. would you prefer to get a contract in hand or would you prefer to have a merger offer on the table and move in that direction
4. Existing codeshares and their impact
5. ALPA representation vs. SWAPA representation
6. Culture integration and how best to blend the best of both cultures
7. Business model integrations and how the two airlines differ and how to deal with those differences if a merger was to go forward
8. Whether you would support in general terms a merger of these two airlines.

I know there are a lot of emotions that are expressed on FI and expect some to spill over even with the request to keep it professional but honestly not having many contacts with AirTran pilots other than commuters, I would be interested in your perspectives.

Thanks for commenting in advance.

I saw this last night but didn't have time to respond until now. Your first mistake was asking for serious polite responses on FI. LOL! I do see a few though.

I've flown with enough people around here to have a good sense about where this would go. Most think that it will never happen because of past mergers and the problems associated, but someone said never say never. I don't think there is an FO on property here that wouldn't like to see this thing happen. Even a lot of Captains have said they wouldn't mind it either, but the devil is always in the details. My two cents

1. Fair integration. I know 1 for 1 won't happen but something fair.
2. Fences, in this case , at least until they ship back the 717's
3. Everyone here is focused on getting a fair contract. We want it NOW!
4. Code-shares?
5. You have to ask yourself, why is ALPA at AT in the first place? You guys treat your employees well, SWAPA should be fine.

6. Culture integration. WOW... On the line, I'm sure that SWA has the same % of Richards there that we have here, so that won't be an issue. It would be nice to work somewhere where there is a mutual respect between employees and mgt.

7. Hmm...business models. Well....I don't see you guys going with bus. class or assigned seating so that would be gone. The international stuff would be good for both. The "Stepping over dollars to pick up dimes" routine is an art here, I don't see you keeping that. Of course you would have to paint one of your planes with "Little Debbie" (that looks so cool...almost as cool as Elton John...but not quite). And more importantly CUSTOMER SERVICE....please....don't get me started.

8. I would support it because your business model works, you are fairly compensated and the schedules are very efficient and flexible. The company has a history of success and they treat their employees well and they, in turn, take care of your customers.

Of course, all this is just fodder, not many think it will happen ( including myself). The integration of pilots and our business model differences are huge obstacles. That's my 2 cents.

Flame away haters!

SWA moves very slow but very careful. They have been doing this for over 30 years and for some reasosn they have made a profit for those 30+ years. Nobody can say anything about their business plan. It works.

They will wait in the dark and then jump out of nowhere and take the bait. You just need to hope that you are not on the menu. They will get slots in New York in due time and at a good price. As far as Atlanta goes they will take a place close to and near Atlanta without having to fight Delta or the other Regional (Air Tran )that operates there.

Keep thinking of me as your nephew. You would really be shiocked to find out who you are really chatting with. Have a good day.

I know one thing by your own admission, you're not a Southwest pilot, and obviously not an economist or a history major.

Wesb737fo,

Thanks for the insightful and respectful reply. I don't know if it would occur but since GK has spoken of it on several occasions (nothing like Tilton however) in a generic sense, I threw the question out there.

Hope you get the contract that is desired by the majority. Good luck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back