PDT Doomed!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

eightdriver

It sounds like PDT is really doomed..... They are going to lose another 3 AC's next month. Oh well, thanks Mesa....

Well I sure hope your wrong and I hate to spread more unsubstantiated rumor but I also just read that PDT's HR & Flight Pay dept.s have been deleted(Don't know where that's going, ALG?). Hopefully it's just some USeless-Air consolidation of the WO's, but it does kinda make you go hummmm! I personally think basic math would dictate a substantial savings with a consolidation of the WO's, but then so could complete outsourcing. I guess we'll find out more in April.

dont point the finger at Mesa, point the finger at Super Dave!

Jesus, you guys use SELCAL to order your crew meals!!

1) We don't have SELCAL

2) We have crew meals because we used to have a contract worth defending, until we had to compete with Mesa.

3) Blame for PDT's demise lies in many places, just like it does in the case of Eastern, Pan AM, TW and others.

4) Hate to let you in on this, sport, but JO isn't your friend.

"It was us today, it will be you tomorrow." Haile Selassie

I never said JO was my friend, hell we all think he's the antichrist. Your flying is going away becasue Super Dave is giving it away. Remember last year he said "we are getting out of the turboprop business."

PDT does not exist in a vacuum, if you cannot be competitive management will find a way to outsource yout flying. it even happened to us.

all this crap aside most of you PDT guys are professional and curteous to mesa pilots, but dont blame us for taking over florida, it was management who organized that.

We have a company radio net that is SELCAL in nature, though not in operation. :) Honestly, I forgot to clutch my brain, we definately don't have ACARS. Sorry, my mistake. Too much beer.

Really, the basic issue that the WO have with the contract carriers is one of fairness. The Wholly--owneds have been profit centers for Group for quite a while. Quite honestly, I didn't believe this at first, until I started researching the Express div.

PDT was (at the time of the last contract negot.) considered one of the most efficient pilot groups in the industry (this was according to ALPA.) Now these savings were achieved in some wierd ways e.g permanent undermanning/lack of reserve, outbasing, extremely low overhead for facilities. However, we were paid completion factor, as are all Express carriers. And after much searching, I determined that our completion factor/rate was very competitive with the contract carriers. Now for the kicker.

Our "profits" are/were being returned to group, with the net effect of the wo running essentially a break even operation.
Now in the case of a contract carrier, completion factor essentially takes on the form of a cost plus type contract. Therefore, the feeling is that, as our operation is shrunk, and our contract gutted through various means, we are subsidizing the profit of a definately less labour friendly airline. Moreover, these companies pilots are discussing a concessionary TA while the company makes a profit.

Airways is also stuck in the position of liking the revenue that the RJ is producing, but unable to procure them for themselves. Also, they like being able to whipsaw Contract carriers to WO's, WO's to each other, and Contract carriers to each other. This type of whipsawing was primary reason for the founding of a national pilot's union. It is also the antithesis of a founding principle of ALPA, which is to remove pilot salary from as much as possible as a force of competition and comparision in the aviation business.

In this sadly, I'm sure you would agree, ALPA has failed.

To ALL OF MY PDT BRO'S

I hope I am not wrong AGAIN, but PDT won't be going anywhere. After Mar 31 we should find out Seagulls plan for us. Remember that we are changing our checklists to mirror mainline's, and changing our procedures.

Also, Seagull knows that the contracts have a HORRABLE customer service reputation. They, at the top, want a less expensive poeration, but not a CHEAP operation. PDT will be fine, and mesa and chitaqua will move on and open whore houses in United, American, and Delta neighborhoods.

Re: To ALL OF MY PDT BRO'S

blzr said:
PDT will be fine, and mesa and chitaqua will move on and open whore houses in United, American, and Delta neighborhoods.

Well, I hope PDT will be fine, but we don't want those others here either!!! You can have em!! I'm suprised enough to see Chataqua here already. Delta tried the low cost regional thing once already with Trans States, and drop them like a hot potato.

Then again, according to some of these guys, the fact that I don't qualify for food stamps means that my profitable airline isn't competitive with them. Gimme a break.

Good Luck to PDT and ALG.

A former ALG guys who saw the light...

Re: To ALL OF MY PDT BRO'S

blzr said:

PDT will be fine, and mesa and chitaqua will move on and open whore houses in United, American, and Delta neighborhoods.

I hope all the WO's are fine. You deserve RJ's and hopefully they will be coming soon. That said, I don't think Mesa and Chit are going anywhere. Mesa has LONG term contracts and is ADDING at least 70 new airplanes in the next year+ at U. Chit has announced the formation of Republic solely for the purpose of flying RJ's at U. Companies don't make moves like these without GUARANTEES that U will full fill it's agreement (outside of BK). They couldn't get the financing for the planes with out it. Think about it, U had the chance to modify these contracts in BK to a shorter term. Instead, on day ONE of BK, they went into court and said that they want the judge to honor in full there contracts.

Good luck with the RJ's. Don't hold your breath on seeing the contract carriers go anywhere any time soon. Sorry dude. -Bean

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back