PDK and their F'd-Up Approaches!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

maverick_fp00

Was flying in the Navajo to PDK Monday from Panama City, Fl. About 10 miles out, they gave us a 360 heading. We are about 4 miles from the OM (CHAMB) and they give us 090 (which was pretty much, direct to CHAMB)... then not too long after that a 170 to join the loc. Oh, also.. they kept us at 5000 until the 080 heading. They were trying to squeeze us between 2 Citations. Since, they gave us such a f'd up heading, we didn't intercept the localizer until past chamb int. It was just crazy... decending from 5000 to intercept the localizer (2900').

Today, flying to PDK in the 421... same sh!t. Giving us almost a 180 degree turn back to intercept the localizer. Never seen anything like it before.

Anyway, just had to get it out of me... they just like to really screw with the little guys I guess.

Today, flying to PDK in the 421... same sh!t. Giving us almost a 180 degree turn back to intercept the localizer. Never seen anything like it before.

Sounds like a routine intercept in central and northern Maine!

Sometimes you have to get creative and use your own intercept heading if you see ATC is giving you shi.tty vectors. The PDK controllers do seem kind of freaky.

I agree, controllers are not overly pilot "friendly" with regards to the approaches into PDK. It has always been my experience that they will keep the prop guys up high until the last possible moment before they will give one lower. I have noticed however that "if" conditions will permit and I have the airport in sight and call it they will clear us for the visual and grant us lower farther out at certain times of the day. Other times they will still want 5000', long extended downwinds, high speeds to the marker, blah, blah, blah, .... (if only I was in a jet):mad: :confused: :D

3 5 0

might have something to do with the proximity of that little 'ole airport about 20 miles SSW of PDK

well, that is actually something that sounds a bit f*cked up.

Controllers are not allowed to give you more then 30 degree intercept at least one mile or more from the "Gate" which if remember correctly is based on 1 mile before the OM.

The only problem with bitching about this approach is that ATL approach is gonna say fine, climb and maintain 2000, proceed to the AG LOM and hold. Expect further clearence at 2145, time now 2100.

Peachtree is one helluva an airport to fly into during the afternoon rush hour. Things get even more f'ed up there when the winds favor 02R and they do the VOR 27 to a circle. When the weather gets low, they line em' up practically to Augusta. The controllers in ATL are some of the best I have flown under. They do a great job handling the traffic. At PDK you have FTY, LZU and RYY in such close proximity. That makes for some interesting sequencing.

--03M

Never had a problem with the slam dunks approaching from the east, but I can see it from the west (coming over Dobbins AFB & FTY). But they do keep the spacing tight and tight/last minute turns to final. One of the busiest GA airports.

Try that in a Falcon...During rush hour...that place is NUTZ

Last edited:
N9103M said:
Peachtree is one helluva an airport to fly into during the afternoon rush hour. Things get even more f'ed up there when the winds favor 02R and they do the VOR 27 to a circle. When the weather gets low, they line em' up practically to Augusta. The controllers in ATL are some of the best I have flown under. They do a great job handling the traffic. At PDK you have FTY, LZU and RYY in such close proximity. That makes for some interesting sequencing.

--03M

You got that right!!! All that on top of getting bounced around like a leaf in a hurricane due to the "paving of America" concept going on in the northern half of Georgia makes it even more fun :eek:

Latest resources

Back