Pbs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Death to PBS

PBS Sucks! Nothing is guaranteed and you get nothing you want. Not even senior people like it. It's nothing but a tool for mgmt. to reduce THERE costs.

I find that the less parameters i bid with the better my lines are.

All I put is:

Min Sked
4 day trips

If its Dec i'll bid for xmas eve off or if another month where i need a certin day I'll put that in before "4 day trips" - other than that i keep my PBS to above and almost always get 4 four day trips per month with 3 to 4 days between trips.

PBS Sucks! Nothing is guaranteed and you get nothing you want. Not even senior people like it. It's nothing but a tool for mgmt. to reduce THERE costs.

Don't listen to this guy. Just a bitter bitter man. PBS is awesome! I get trips I could never dream of holding with the old, archaic line system. PBS is a much welcomed breath of fresh air. Some people are just mad because they can't figure out how to use a computer I think.

Predatory bidding system

Don't listen to this guy. Just a bitter bitter man. PBS is awesome! I get trips I could never dream of holding with the old, archaic line system. PBS is a much welcomed breath of fresh air. Some people are just mad because they can't figure out how to use a computer I think.

Newman you must be fairly new to the SkyWest fold. Your dream trips could be considered a breach of seniority.

PBS doesn't solve for Seniority very accurate. It is a tool for management cost cutting. Even Senior people 20+ year Capitans may get what they want but at least they do not condone it. It was forced upon our pilot group in a matter of a few months. No vote, No thanks. It is what it is. JUnk software with changes to the junk every month. The pairings are still junk, so junk schedules we get.

Last edited:
Newman you must be fairly new to the SkyWest fold. Your dream trips could be considered a breach of seniority.

PBS doesn't solve for Seniority very accurate. It is a tool for management cost cutting. Even Senior people 20+ year Capitans may get what they want but at least they do not condone it. It was forced upon our pilot group in a matter of a few months. No vote, No thanks. It is what it is. JUnk software with changes to the junk every month. The pairings are still junk, so junk schedules we get.

Very true...and I'm 20+ and still get a garbage schedule! Garbage pairings, garbage schedule!!

How does vacation worK?

I'm at ASA. In july I had my 7 day vacation. I bid a line that was blocked at 92 hours, had 15 days off, and had two of its trips conflicting with my vacation.

So I was off from the 3rd to the 22nd. I ended up having to work a lot the last week but still ended up at roughly 75 hours (which is our base pay) and didn't have to pick anything else up or lose money.

This is the standard here, how does that work with pbs? By the way, I'm junior.

9+ yrs, PBS is better than any hard line. GR82Aviate is correct in that bad pairings can be a problem but for me I would take PBS any day of the week. Pick your days off ,the trips you want, pick how much vacation time to use when you have vacation what more could you ask for. Bidding is never perfect but PBS is an improvement.

How does vacation worK?

I'm at ASA. In july I had my 7 day vacation. I bid a line that was blocked at 92 hours, had 15 days off, and had two of its trips conflicting with my vacation.

So I was off from the 3rd to the 22nd. I ended up having to work a lot the last week but still ended up at roughly 75 hours (which is our base pay) and didn't have to pick anything else up or lose money.

This is the standard here, how does that work with pbs? By the way, I'm junior.

Vacation is pre-assigned with PBS . It would be nice to still have the vacation conflicts. It is however, simply inefficent to turn what should be one week of vacation into what 3 weeks paid vacation. Basically you are paying two people to do that trip. I am all for being efficent. At Skywest we get vacation hours not weeks. In the long run I have had more vacation than I would with the vacation week system. You can also bid for lots of days off around your vacation. We have the option of bidding for vacation a year in advance but can also put in last minute requests if we choose to do so. It is efficent, it saves money, and you are on reserve a lot less. I have been getting great schedules for the last few months now. All in all it is a give in take but I think I have benefited QOL wise a lot more than I would with the line system.

I don't know about that. People senior to me get just as good if not better schedules from what I have been hearing. It may be different in another domicile. I think it still would have passed had it been put to a vote. Overall I think the majority benefit from PBS. Just think we all used to live in deja vu land with the hard lines. You generally had the same days off, the same crew, the same trips every week. Over and over. I like the variety that PBS offers. I was simply going mad having to do the same trips over and over every month. It was nice getting to know the crews but it is also cool to have a different one every couple days.

Latest resources

Back