PBS at CAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

deceptibum

Hello all! I was just curious from the CAL guys how trips are bid with the PBS system. Basically, do you get any type of "skeleton" type month trip examples to base your selections by, or is it all up in the air based on what you input into the computer. IE., can you say all I want is any layover trip over 12 hours or all Thursdays off ?? Any input and previous experiences are appreciated!! Thanks!

It's very easy. You put in what your preferences are and you NEVER get any of them. It's that easy. If, on the other hand, you were able to program in, or wrote a thesis on C++ you can get the most senior pilots' trips by simply programing the machine to do so. It's pathetic.

In all honesty it is getting better, but really, you may get some of the days off you specifically ask for, but I wouldn't recommend "Carmen" PBS to your worst enemy.(cause they probably can program C++)

Each month it seems to throw out "bazaar" results. That's the best way I can explain it. You get no advance warning, you can't trade since the company has "minimums reserves required" way above actual reserves. This basically locks your schedule on you.

The programming bit I referenced to above: E.G.
I was watching a "trainer" show someone how to ask for their exact type of flying they wanted.

He literally typed into the computer
Avoid "this certain type of trip"
Award"this certain type of trip"

And he got results out of that. He said "Yup, see what it's done?"

This should be taken off all servers at any company. You can't train people in that much detail. It's a wide awake nightmare.

And Finally to bring home what a mess the "Carmen" system is when crews meet at outstations for the night, if they sit down at restaurant or bar, PBS will come up rather quickly, AND WE TALK FOLKLORE AND MYTHS FOR AN HOUR MINIMUM. "I heard this one guy got great trips by putting in "Award work after each bid group". "Oh ya, I heard of this one guy that put "Avoid work" and put his type of requests for the computer to build in the Denial mode". It's all crap. It's such a mess, and the company is rolling with laughter, cause they're running us into the ground working. We've had 3 pilot heart attacks in the last 3 months in the air,(this isn't about that, stop it), it's about them running us into the ground and taking bonus' from the servant's work. This system took all vacation bidding out. You work up to the vacation date, and start work the day after. No month off. It's the week off ONLY.

I hate to sound so dim, but it's the truth. See if anyone else puts on "happy shoes" and taps around me. I bet not. But if they do ask them if they can program in C++ or something like that!

Last edited:
I second it, it's a mess. Two problems seem to be running concurrently.. number one is staffing. We are short and it's really screwing with PBS.

Number two is this Carmen PBS system we have it garbage. Like Mr. Sacko referenced, you need a degree in computer programming (Fortran, C++, Ada, etc...) and that doesn't even guarantee you will get what you want because of "overall solution constraints"! Since PBS has to build a certain number of lines, it can pull a trip off a senior person's line (like say a 3day FCO) and stick it on a more junior line in order build all the lines required for the month. Our system is the exact opposite of "the first guy gets his choice (in trips), then the #2 gets his first choice of what's left, then #3, etc..." It is "we need to build EXACTLY this many lines and will do whatever is necessary to anyone's line to get it done. We have people that are in the top 5 seats of their BES not getting the trips they wanted and those trips are going to more junior people.

My personal take is I am about 70% on the 756 and I get basically what I was getting with the old system, but I have to work a hell of a lot harder trying to figure out the bid groups. I see absolutely no upside to it whatsoever. I know other airlines don't seem to have as much of a problem as we do, so I don't think the PBS "theory" is at fault, but our execution of it has been miserable.

The only way to fix this mess is to change vendors and up the staffing to a correct level or go back to paper bids (and up the staffing to a correct level anyway).

If it matters, NWA ALPA just sh!tcanned their's for the exact reason stated above.

The company is sh!tting eggrolls because they don't know where they're going to get the pilots for the summer. I heard someone mention a productivity hit somewhere north of %10.

Carmen is OK, Airware was better, but only if you have enough staffing and enough open time in the system to work correctly. Once the company forces open time below %2-3, the solutions fall to pieces, and the system becomes a "trip assignment system" rather than a bidding system. NWA tried to do it with ZERO open time, with predictable results (the only thing that this produced was a new term: "getting ZOTted."

Nu

Last edited:
I came into this PBS as a true believer. We had it at TWA and it worked very good. I am now a total PBS hater. This system sucks. What's worse is that the union doesn't care.

The big problems are that it is too complicated with too many options.

But the biggest problem is that seniority really doesn't matter. For example, this month I had two bid groups with 99 assignable trips. I was able to build a line from these trips in less than 5 minutes. It bypassed both of these groups and went into denial mode 4 and built me a line with crappy four day trips. I wanted two and three day trips. When I call the "union" I was told that it didn't give me any of those assignable trips because that would have affected the pilots junior to me and there ability to get a line. The computer says there will be 500 lines and if it built me a line from those 99 assignable to me it may have only been able to build 498 lines. So junior pilots got my good trips and I got there crappy trips. I'm at 60% and I should get what I can hold.

When I called ALPA I was told I need to learn the system better. So much for my dues money. Hopefully ALPA will get a set and stand up for our pilot group for a change.

Thank god for mil leave.

Here is a response I got from a PBS trainer after I complained about my March results. There were over 200 assignable trips that I bid for and I didn't get one. They went to people junior to me. It's total B.S.

You may have 1/2 of a dispute. Unfortunately, you are a victim of
splat. Your
seniority is at about 80% of Lineholders, and the unofficial word is that 63%
and junior were forced into 12 day off lines. All of the High pairings that
you wanted are too productive, so it was forced to use the DH pairings
that you
wanted as Neutral.

The exception is the LAS on the 4th of March. I think that you may
have a case
in that you could have had 2 of the MCO turns that you weighted high.
It could
have given them to you without much difference in total time or days off.

File a dispute at Flight ops / PBS / PBS Dispute Resolution Form

The problem is, a lot of the union guys are computer geeks. Computer geeks get wood over PBS.

At TWA, I made the argument that a computer is an appliance. It is not my hobby. If I have to spend 4 hours a day to get my can opener or dishwasher to work right, it's not worth it. Same thing with a computer.

If PBS requires a grad level degree to allow me to bid what I want each month (not counting software updates and changes in the proceedure for bidding), it has a negative impact on my QOL.

Even the best PBS system is a wash. A lousy PBS system is hellish. TC

This is the first month that PBS somewhat gave me what I bid for, but I just hit the 53 percent mark. I go to the 777 next month, so I can kiss enjoying PBS goodbye.

I came into this PBS as a true believer. We had it at TWA and it worked very good. I am now a total PBS hater. This system sucks. What's worse is that the union doesn't care...........

When I called ALPA I was told I need to learn the system better. So much for my dues money. Hopefully ALPA will get a set and stand up for our pilot group for a change.

PKOBER, As you say, it's not the PBS, rather, the implementation of it that makes it work. And some blame PBS when it's the work rules that are to blame. When companies want PBS they also want more efficient work rules at the same time. But they are separate things!

As far as ALPO, you know what us former TWAer's think of them.

Latest resources

Back