Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bertengineer

AM Aviation
I have an interview with a company to fly the King Air C-90 for starters with progression to the 200 and 200T, and work as an A&P on the aircraft. I would like to get a feel from the board of what type of pay rate one might expect for this position. Now I know there will be the 100K plus inputs, but seriously, what may I expect/request for the first year in this position. There is travel involved and I would be responsible for the upkeep, scheduled and unscheduled maintenance of the aircraft as well.

Thanks

Last edited:
I would expect first year pay around 35-40k for flying and increase with time with the company/larger equipment. I would find out what the local shop charges hourly for mx and figure out a fair rate off of that if they ask. Ur not gonna be tinkering on the thing all the time so an hourly rate only sounds fair. If they wanna go all salary for flying and mx...still expect 35-40k/yr all inclusive. Pretty much sucks! Depending on how much they fly, being the pilot and a&p can be a big handful. Im flying a 200 for a 135 and between everday flying, the feds, stocking, gps/chart updates, recurrent, 135 checkrides etc. etc. etc. im full to the gills. We have people that clean and hangar plus we have a mx shop right next store that takes care of everything in that department. I don't think it would be feasible to do it all. Once again...depends on how much your in the air. Just my two pesos...good luck!

I would expect first year pay around 35-40k for flying and increase with time with the company/larger equipment. I would find out what the local shop charges hourly for mx and figure out a fair rate off of that if they ask. Ur not gonna be tinkering on the thing all the time so an hourly rate only sounds fair. If they wanna go all salary for flying and mx...still expect 35-40k/yr all inclusive. Pretty much sucks! Depending on how much they fly, being the pilot and a&p can be a big handful. Im flying a 200 for a 135 and between everday flying, the feds, stocking, gps/chart updates, recurrent, 135 checkrides etc. etc. etc. im full to the gills. We have people that clean and hangar plus we have a mx shop right next store that takes care of everything in that department. I don't think it would be feasible to do it all. Once again...depends on how much your in the air. Just my two pesos...good luck!

All that work for 35 -40K? I hope you're kidding.

35 - 40K is low for either of those positions, so that pay for the dual role is rediculous.

All that work for 35 -40K? I hope you're kidding.

35 - 40K is low for either of those positions, so that pay for the dual role is rediculous.

I agree, that seems low just for the pilot position. There are a lot of places out there that want a free mechanic to go along with their pilot.

35-40K?!? Okay, Kunta Kinte. Good grief, our right seaters in a KA200 started at 36K with bennies. I would say that a starting salary of 60-70K plus benefits would be low/middle for someone that turns wrenches on a plane and then flies it. I have a friend flying a 200 out of LAS which he manages, and he's now making 110K/year.

In LAS a House costs 600,000.000 in Crossville Tennessee a House costs 100,000.00. Now 35-45k doesn't sound so bad does it? Its all relative boys.

I started as the A&P mechanic, just some friendly advice. Do one or the other and don't try to do both. We have a hard enough time getting the right QOL and money out of these aircraft owners. They will use both parts of you and only pay you for one, thats almost guaranteed.

My 2 cents

In LAS a House costs 600,000.000 in Crossville Tennessee a House costs 100,000.00. Now 35-45k doesn't sound so bad does it? Its all relative boys.

I started as the A&P mechanic, just some friendly advice. Do one or the other and don't try to do both. We have a hard enough time getting the right QOL and money out of these aircraft owners. They will use both parts of you and only pay you for one, thats almost guaranteed.

My 2 cents

Well said nfg2u...salary IS all relative and why the hell do u think they want a guy to do both? Why wouldn't they just hire 2 guys...cause they only wanna pay for one. Bunch of blind idiots. I forgot that u guys still think ur gonna make 300k flying til ur 60, retire on a private island somewhere sipping pina coladas and be surrounded by every piece of a$$ u ever looked at. Truly my mistake...next time i post some advice ill be sure take ur pipedreams into account.

Last edited:
It is a cmpany that flies CONUS and international. The reason for the A&P is to do maintenance when away from home base..scheduled inspections and the like. I appreciate the input that has been put on so far. 35-40K is really low. I live in the south and there is a lot of travel involved. I do not have the full details yet, but I am trying to get a feel of what to ask for. I suppose it is a situation aim high, and see what I can get.

most people I've talked to in 200's give me around 50-55 yearly(socal, IFP)... the A&P doesn't do much good when your on the road with no tools.. It does come in handy when they assign you to turning wrenches full time... hard to work both

Latest resources

Back