Passenger numbers to nearly double by 2032, FAA predicts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DieselDragRacer

Airline travel will nearly double over the next two decades, growing enough to add another airline every year, the Federal Aviation Administration predicted Thursday.The number of passengers will grow from a projected 732 million this year to 1.2 billion in 2032, according to the FAA's annual forecast. Under another measure, the number of miles those passengers fly will grow from 815 billion last year to 1.57 trillion in 2032.
MORE: FAA says fares will stay high as capacity remains tight
For comparison, that annual growth rate of 3.2% would add the equivalent of a JetBlue Airways every 10 months. JetBlue's passengers flew 2.5 billion miles in January.
"This year, more people will be flying more miles and we expect that to continue in future years," says Michael Huerta, acting FAA administrator.
The forecast released in conjunction with a two-day conference in Washington also projected growth of commercial operations at the largest 30 airports. Airports that are expected to grow the fastest, at more than 2.5% a year, are New York's John F. Kennedy, Washington's Dulles, Chicago's Midway, Orlando, Houston and Las Vegas.
Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said the report underscored the importance of updating the country's air-traffic control system, under a project called NextGen.
"More and more Americans are relying on air travel and the Obama administration is committed to making sure the U.S. can meet our growing aviation demands," LaHood said.
Growth is expected despite expectations for higher fuel prices and a U.S. economy growing slower than some of the rest of the world. But FAA's pace of growth is slightly slower than last year's forecast, with a projection to reach 1 billion passengers three years later, in 2024.
The price of oil is projected to stay above $100 a barrel this year and reach $138 in two decades. Economic growth is projected at 2.6% each year domestically and 3.2% worldwide, according to FAA's projections by IHS Global Insight.

I dont believe this. Where are the passengers coming from? I can possibly see if this is a worldwide figure, but certainly not domestic. Something tells me that this is code for lets spend some money on programs in anticipation of a "doubling" of passengers.

Can someone provide passenger totals for the last 30 years or so in the US. I'd like to see a bar chart reflecting capacity trends.

I dont believe this. Where are the passengers coming from? I can possibly see if this is a worldwide figure, but certainly not domestic. Something tells me that this is code for lets spend some money on programs in anticipation of a "doubling" of passengers.

Can someone provide passenger totals for the last 30 years or so in the US. I'd like to see a bar chart reflecting capacity trends.

Maybe this is political speak for we need funding now to develop the Next Generation NextGen. :confused:

People are already given free food stamps, free housing, free bus rides, and free cellphones, and free college... free air transportation is everyone's birth entitlement, don't ya know?!

Does anyone have a copy of the 1982, 1992 or 2002 predictions for 2012? I'd like to know how accurate their predictions were.

Does anyone have a copy of the 1982, 1992 or 2002 predictions for 2012? I'd like to know how accurate their predictions were.

exactly - I remember them saying stuff like this back in the late 90's about 2010 and beyond. Look how that worked out.

Revenue seat miles have done nothing but go up for decades now with only a small recession after 9/11 but quickly recovered after a few quarters.... I've seen many graphs but would have to search a while to dig one up until I get home.

Revenue seat miles have done nothing but go up for decades now with only a small recession after 9/11 but quickly recovered after a few quarters.... I've seen many graphs but would have to search a while to dig one up until I get home.
You had to come in and spoil all the fun with facts

Latest resources

Back