Part Time Pilots, Yay or Nay?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Erlanger

At Skywest, management has expressed the idea of allowing pilot time pilots. There's a lot of pilots for and a lot against. Won't go into my reasons but I am dead set against it. Those that do go part time will lose their benefits except travel/jumpseat. Curious what everyone out thinks of the advantages and disadvantages of this proposal and how it could affect those of us that want to or need to stay full time.

aleardy have part time at ASA, they call it COMA, can be for a month, or 2 weeks

I'm totally against it....it just means I have to work harder on reserve. 98 hours in Feb with multiple off days moved. They're still giving out COMA's too. Eff'em. This summer is going to be great!

That's usually the first step before furlough...I hope that's not in anybody's future

I wouldnt say that its the first step before a furlough.

I havent heard anything about this, but it basically removes the cost of benefits(insurance) from the airline. They get a pilot that flies half the month and another that flies the other half of the month and they dont have to pay insurance/401k/anything for either guy. The only cost really to the company would be recurrent training. For guys that could take advantage of this it would be a pretty decent idea. I know several guys at XJT would probably take advantage of something like this.

Sure...if they lose priority to full-timers when it comes to travel benefits, bidding seniority, and performance payouts.

I don't think MGT is talking about it, I think the idea was floated on the forums by a mom whose husband is military (ie gone a lot but has good pay and great benefits).

But I'm opposed without some insanely airtight limitations on what the company can do with it.

Why the heck would anyone work part time. Cut a barely livable wage in half and still be gone enough that you can't work a second job -- unless by second job you mean make millions by working at home using my awesome methodology for finding things and then selling them using my patented system... Order the kit now it's only $28 per installment paid over 19 installments.

Why the heck would anyone work part time. Cut a barely livable wage in half and still be gone enough that you can't work a second job -- unless by second job you mean make millions by working at home using my awesome methodology for finding things and then selling them using my patented system... Order the kit now it's only $28 per installment paid over 19 installments.

Some people have sugar momma's(or daddy's). I have flown with at least 5 guys where their wives make 5-10x what they make and they really dont have to work at all, but they choose to. Most of them drop their whole line every month. One of the guys said every dime he makes goes into retirement savings. He hasnt touched his salary in 5 years.

So just because YOU wouldnt or couldnt take advantage of something like this doesnt mean nobody could or would.

At XJT when we had the 40 and 60 hour lines there were more people who signed up for them than the company would give out. To me that says there are PLENTY of guys who want to only work half the month.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back