Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Part 135 Extended Overwater Ops. (Ops. Spec B045)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AirplanesSuck

Malevolent Matriculator
I trolled around for a while, but couldn't find anything on this issue.

Just wondering what other 135 ops specs say in B045, specifically about the 30 minute VHF com gap...

If you have this Spec, it should allow you to operate extended overwater with only one long range com system, but one of the limits is no more than a 30 minute VHF gap.

Just wondering if any of you have the same and how you comply with it going to Bermuda.

Thanks,
Suck

It's a lear, but many routes, unless you're coming from North Carolina, are an hour or more out of VHF.

I guess I really need to delve into our ops specs. I'm aware of this reg. but also know that we've been doing this for many years with only one HF radio (legally). I'll see what I can find out.

No 30 min gap with Long Range Radio

Op spec B45 allows operation outside of the 30 minute gap if you have an Long Range Radio HF, or Sat. There may be differences by operator in the op spec. But it also says if your Long Range Radio is not working you must not be outside of VHF comm. for more than 30 minutes. We send our DC-9's without Long Range Radio down to South America by flying over Puerto Rico and then down to SA.

Last edited:
From B045 in our Ops. Specs.:

(5) The certificate holder may not release a flight nor may any pilot-in-command (PIC) operate over
any airway or other approved route having a two-way very high frequency (VHF) radio
communications gap exceeding 30 minutes when operating at the aircraft’s normal en route
operating altitude.

This is provision/limitation for operating with a single long-range com system over water. I interpret this as one of the limitations for us only having one HF.​

Different than ours

From B045 in our Ops. Specs.:

(5) The certificate holder may not release a flight nor may any pilot-in-command (PIC) operate over
any airway or other approved route having a two-way very high frequency (VHF) radio
communications gap exceeding 30 minutes when operating at the aircraft’s normal en route
operating altitude.

This is provision/limitation for operating with a single long-range com system over water. I interpret this as one of the limitations for us only having one HF.​
Ours allow us to fly over water outside the 30 minute VHF range, yours must be different. As I said in the post their may be operator differences

I regularly fly to Bermuda in a Lear 35 and we have a Letter with New York Center that we can operate with one HF Radio outside the 30 minute gap. I am not sure how to obtain one though.

I regularly fly to Bermuda in a Lear 35 and we have a Letter with New York Center that we can operate with one HF Radio outside the 30 minute gap. I am not sure how to obtain one though.

We've got the exact same letter, but that's because it's required by B045 Paragraph (4).

What I can't get an answer about, however, is why the company (or you if you can explain) think that New York Center has any regulatory authority over our ops. specs.

New York Center Oceanic said we can operate outside that 30-minute gap, but our ops. specs. don't say we can, and I don't think an ARTCC has authority over our specs.

Thoughts?

It was my understanding that all ops-specs were standard. Not the sum - but if you both have B045 at two airlines B045 should be identical.

Also - I don't see how a letter from an ATCC could relieve you from any requirement of your op-spec.

Latest resources

Back