Pan Am Closing Florida Flight School

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pan am

I did hear they are trying to get the guys/gals to move out to AZ lol. I can hear now " We are sorry to say we are shutting down but if you give us another 2K will let you move the planes to az and finish your training" lol. I know a few guys in the end of their CFI rating and are having a flip now. Sucks to be them

Last edited:
Any "official" word yet on what happened to the arrow they put in the dirt a mile short of rwy 9 back in Jan 04?

I was on freq with Miami when that thing went missing.

(Not to hijack the thread)

I didn't realize until I got last months issue of Business/Commercial Aviation that one of Pan Am's Seminoles from the DVT campus got radar vectored into the side of a mountain outside the Julian VOR in SoCal - Killing all aboard. What a tragedy.

DAS at 10/250 said:
Any "official" word yet on what happened to the arrow they put in the dirt a mile short of rwy 9 back in Jan 04?

I was on freq with Miami when that thing went missing.

My good friend knows the girl that lived, she was in the back seat. According to her they were "taking a peak" trying to get home.

Just to clarify; Pam Am flight school and the former "PAN AM" airlines are (were) completely different. The former Pan AM airlines was based out of Sanford, FL amd Portsmouth, NH and flew 727s. They are no longer in existence, as their certificate was turned in to FAA on 1 Nov 2004. However, the alter ego airline of Pan Am; Boston Maine Airways;, is still flying the 727s with the Pan Am logo on it. Same managment, just a different name. And of course different work rules.

As for the Pan Am flight school in FL, not related at all! I think it was named Pan Am Flight Academy, but not sure.

User997 said:
(Not to hijack the thread)

I didn't realize until I got last months issue of Business/Commercial Aviation that one of Pan Am's Seminoles from the DVT campus got radar vectored into the side of a mountain outside the Julian VOR in SoCal - Killing all aboard. What a tragedy.
so who is at fault? ATC for bad vectors or was the pilot at the wrong altitude? That is a sad story, nonetheless.

If I remember correctly, it was two similar aircraft #'s (323PA vs. 322PA) and accident aircraft took a decent intended for the other guy.

My good friend knows the girl that lived, she was in the back seat. According to her they were "taking a peak" trying to get home

I was trying to get into Ft Pierce that night and asos was calling VV100 and vis down to something like 2. We turned back and landed at MCO and waited out the fog bank that was rolling up.

Landed the next morning over power line trucks, NTSB, and one wrecked arrow. Bad deal.

Latest resources

Back