P.E. at 28yrs old

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lineup&wt

Hey guys, looking for any insight on this issue..I'm 28yrs old and had a P.E. back in June. I have a great AME up in PIT, he said I possibly can back on the line in August. I'm taking coumadin currently. After testing in the hospital my body does not fall in the category of producing these clots. this incident was a freak thing as the doc says. Anyone that went through this, knows anyone who has, or knows anything about this. your input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Not sure what a P.E. is. However, I would be concerned about having to take coumadin. Will you have to take it the rest of your life, or is it only a temporary thing. I was on it for only 2 months, and had to wait until I was off until flying. The FAA will allow you to fly while taking it, but it must be closely monitored (monthly), and must stay within the specific tolerance levels. It may take several months to get it under control.

P.E is a pulmonary embolism. You can fly on coumadin. It used to be mandatory six months. but it was changed to 3 months recently. here is where i got confused. Coumadin levels for treating a P.E should be between 2.0-3.0. But the way it sounds if it go's above these levels it shows that it is theraputic (good) But then I here that for the FAA, you need to have theraputic levels 80% of time. I can't get a strait answer, 2.0-3.0, or 2.0 and above???

I would also contact ALPA aeromedical, if your a member. They have all the current info., even before the AMEs.
Here's the number. 303-341-4435

Lineup&wt said:
P.E is a pulmonary embolism. You can fly on coumadin. It used to be mandatory six months. but it was changed to 3 months recently. here is where i got confused. Coumadin levels for treating a P.E should be between 2.0-3.0. But the way it sounds if it go's above these levels it shows that it is theraputic (good) But then I here that for the FAA, you need to have theraputic levels 80% of time. I can't get a strait answer, 2.0-3.0, or 2.0 and above???

The appropriate INR for someone with a history of PE is 2.0-3.0

Latest resources

Back