• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Overweight TO's in GA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not always refer to TY webb's first post on this subject, you can get waivers to operate over the certified wieghts. if you don't have the waivers then it would be illegal. the weights we typical use have a good amount of fudge factor, however your poh is based upon max certified weight
a warrior climbs like crap 100lbs over weight on hot day in the south and it takes a lot of that runway even in mia, stall speeds are much higher, climbs at 200fpm if your lucky. ( a little birdy told me)
the performance numbers that are in the poh are no longer valid should you operate in an overweight condition.

remember think safe fly safe. its your a##(and your passengers) and your ticket

Last edited:
I can load my 402 up going out of FLL and it will climb like a homesick angel even if I am 1000 lbs. over gross. Works great!!!

Add the 310 & B58 to that group!

I applaud all you guys who dont fly overgrossweight. I have flown more than my fair share of singles and twins well over gross weight and even though nothing bad happened to me the risk wasnt worth it. Your employer is NOT going to stand up for you if you getting busted flying over gross weight. Your company will drop you like a hot potatoe if the word got out to the Feds you were overweight. I try and not do it anymore, you shouldnt either. I spent too much money on this flying career.

Let me try again. If I have a twin Part 23 or Part 25 and load it up 1000 lbs over gross it climbs like a homesick angel with two engines, why not fly it that way, even putting legalities aside, why is it not safe and what am I sacrificing.???

Here is how I look at the overweight issue, or any other questionable issue. If you think you will make it 9 times out of 10, then if you do do it 10 times, one time you will die. Just my point of view.

As a side note, airlines routinely remove people and baggage from an aircraft that has either exceeded the max takeoff or ramp weight. They don't report it or write it up, they just fix it and go on. I believe that the max ramp weight isn't a structural limit, but an arbitrary limit that prevents the aircraft from departing over max takeoff weight. I've never seen any reports on this, but if you look at the max takeoff weight and the expected fuel burn for taxi you will find that its almost always the equal to the difference of max ramp and takeoff weight.

most people and or bags are removed for perfomance limitations(this weight, this runway, in these conditions),
which become more critical with such things as rain, snow or a hot day. not usally a max weight deal at least thats how I've seen it.
as to the why not do it beacuse it can. some do it with the appropriate waivers. if you don't have the waivers its illegal and its your ticket on the line.
Ive seen afew accidents with an overloaded plane( an overloaded plane can make some situations even more difficult to get out of if not impossible) , it can get messy, and you can loose your ticket if your still around.

Oh yea using the True Fuel Weight can alleviate some of these problems.

Last edited:
You guys are all still missing the point by a long shot. Why do you not want to go over gross in a light twin or Part 25 aircraft for that matter. Hint look up Part 23, and Part 25.

Turbo7,
I'm sure you're talking about 1st and 2nd segment climb. What about the Brasilia (ER model) out of Casper on a summer day. 1000fpm on 2 engines at max temp. limited weight? Not all Part 25 airplanes climb like lovesick angels.

All certifcated takeoff weights for Part 23 and Part25 twins are based on performance single engine. When you go over gross you sacrifice your single engine abilities, with two engines the airplane will go like crazy compared to a single, but it will not fly on one engine.

Latest resources

Back