Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
G

grounded92

This morning someone suggested I take a look at one of the fractional company’s pilot salary schedule. I really wish they hadn’t!!

You see, we fractional pilots spend a large amount of time away from our families. We work long days with dynamic schedules that require us to operate into a seemingly endless number of airports. Additionally, in order to be able to secure a job with one of these companies we spend many years and often many dollars to qualify ourselves.

So what kind of compensation should we require? While this is a question each of us must answer for ourselves, let me give out a little advice. Taking a flying job that pays sh#t just because it is a flying job hurts the whole industry. Want proof, look at the regional airlines impact on airline pay rates. Why can’t they teach this stuff at those crappy flight schools that have infected colleges throughout the country!!

The classified section of your newspaper is full of unskilled jobs that pay 20-40 thousand dollars. If you want to top out at 40-60 thousand dollars get a CDL or manage a restaurant. But if you want to be a professional pilot….then take a little pride in your ability and demand a professional salary.

If you don’t salary levels will erode to the point where even you may decide that being a pilot is less important then providing for yourself. Then it will be time for a pay raise and a chance to run the fry station at your local burger joint.

"Demanding" isn't getting. The fact is the supply far exceeds demand and the market will decide how much one is paid.

BTW, I know several restaurant managers and they make over $100k/yr, have great benefits, love their job, and possess the opportunity to move up the organization and make more if they want. The supply doesn't meet the demand.

"if we all refused to fly for a penny less then 200K then we'd all be making more"

great point. Totally worthless though as that would never happen. In the world of real life people do what's best for them. If you stand up and say I'm not working for less than X amount and X amount is > market price then someone else will take your job.

Remember PFT? That was the battle cry then too. "If no one agreed to do it then it will stop". Well, you can't get EVERYONE to to ANYTHING. What made it stop (mostly) was market forces.

Dream all day about what you think "should be", but at the end of the day what matters is "what is".

gp

Last edited:
"Demanding" isn't getting. The fact is the supply far exceeds demand and the market will decide how much one is paid.

BTW, I know several restaurant managers and they make over $100k/yr, have great benefits, love their job, and possess the opportunity to move up the organization and make more if they want. The supply doesn't meet the demand.
That's why we need Unions to jack the prices up to what they need to be ....:laugh:

The classified section of your newspaper is full of unskilled jobs that pay 20-40 thousand dollars. If you want to top out at 40-60 thousand dollars get a CDL or manage a restaurant. But if you want to be a professional pilot….then take a little pride in your ability and demand a professional salary.

Really? We have a U3 of almost 10% and a U6 of about 16% and you're saying the classiifed section of the newspaper is full of unskilled jobs that pay 40-60K?

Do you have any examples?

It is pure and simple. It's the law of supply and demand. In the 60s, airlines were hiring pilots with less than 1000 hours, most of it light single engine time. The demand was high and the supply low. It was always said that an airline captain in the sixtys could buy a Cadillac on one months pay. Not any more. In the middle East and Asia, the jobs are paying significantly better than here and Europe. Why is that? The demand is high the supply is not. Yes learning to fly here is still expensive but far less expensive than other parts of the world, especially when compared to GDP. The result is we have far to many pilots seeking a scarcity of jobs. I am not shorselling our skills but if the medical schools started churning out 1000s of more docs each year, the compensation levels and quality of life would go down. There are many under or un-employed lawyers, MBAs, engineers, etc, because of the same circumstances. CitationAir pilots were awarded significant raises two years ago. Did CA managment do this out of the goodness of their heart. I say no. They did it because of the mass exodus to NJ of their junior pilots. More recently, that payscale was significally adjusted. Why? Attrition went to virtually zero and there are about 80 pilots on furlough. A contributor to the supply problem is the openess of our certification regulations and employment policies. It is relativley easy for a foreigner to come to the U.S. and gain the credentials and right to work than it is for us to go to Europe and other parts of the world. Try getteing a JAR license and work for NJ Europe. Who wouldn't like to do that?

It all comes down to a little thing we here in America like to call capitalism. I think if you took some time and did a bit of research, you would better understand why wages are low and people are more than happy to work for them. Rich people didn't get rich by blowing all their money, therefore they're bargin hunters to. Even when it comes to private jet travel.

This morning someone suggested I take a look at one of the fractional company’s pilot salary schedule. I really wish they hadn’t!!

You see, we fractional pilots spend a large amount of time away from our families. We work long days with dynamic schedules that require us to operate into a seemingly endless number of airports. Additionally, in order to be able to secure a job with one of these companies we spend many years and often many dollars to qualify ourselves.

So what kind of compensation should we require? While this is a question each of us must answer for ourselves, let me give out a little advice. Taking a flying job that pays sh#t just because it is a flying job hurts the whole industry. Want proof, look at the regional airlines impact on airline pay rates. Why can’t they teach this stuff at those crappy flight schools that have infected colleges throughout the country!!

If you don’t salary levels will erode to the point where even you may decide that being a pilot is less important then providing for yourself. Then it will be time for a pay raise and a chance to run the fry station at your local burger joint.

NJW buy a new screen name?

Latest resources

Back