Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyingPieceOfSt

Wood You Fly This Plane?
Nothing too exciting...And I know I misspelled Uma!

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. Dec 27, 2005 — Oprah Winfrey's private jet was forced to return to the city airport after its windshield was cracked in a collision with a bird, officials said.
Winfrey and her boyfriend, Stedman Graham, were not hurt in the incident, which occurred around 12:30 p.m. Monday just after the GulfStream jet had taken off from Santa Barbara Municipal Airport, said Santa Barbara Fire Department spokesman John Ahlman.
"This is not a totally unusual thing," Ahlman said of the cracked windshield. "We see these things pretty frequently."

The plane will remain grounded until its windshield can be repaired, Ahlman said.

Winfrey bought a mansion on 42 acres of land in the hills of nearby Montecito five years ago. The host of "The Oprah Winfrey Show" has won several Emmys and other awards for her work on daytime television.

Last edited:
AP Updated: 11:34 a.m. ET Dec. 28, 2005

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - Officials now say that it was wear and tear, and not a collision with a bird, that damaged the windshield of Oprah Winfrey’s private jet and forced it to return to the city airport.
“There was no bird involved, but the pilot did tell my captain that he felt it was a fatigue thing with the glass,” Battalion Chief John Ahlman, a Santa Barbara City Fire Department spokesman, said Tuesday.
Ahlman had earlier attributed the damage to a bird.

So, Ocra did not get hurt. I wonder why they thought she could be hurt, was she was sitting on the pilots lap? Were the pilots hurt? No one ever says....

Rumor is that, she has a Global on order

In 604 recurrent at FS, one instructer mentioned her pilots used to come thru the program. But they had a few inflight engine shutdowns w/ the GE engines (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they were having oil sump problems at altitude.).....and she said park the plane and bought a GulfStream.

Latest resources

Back