Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
Hi everyone! I just had a quick question. I am looking to start training for my private in the next few weeks and I need to find an instructor. My ultimate goal is training to become an airline pilot, so I would like to stay w/ the same instructor as far as I can into the future. My question is, do any of you know of a searchable online database that lists instructors and their ratings by like zip code or town? If anyone could help, I'd be very appreciative!

~Chad

Also - http://www.nafinet.org/directory/flight_lookup.html - National Association of Flight Instructors. Look for a "master instructor" if there is one in your area.

Also - from Gleim (the red books) - http://www.gleim.com/aviation/cfi/search/

Those will give you some names, but do what was already suggested and talk with the examiners - ask some of the DEs as well (don't work for the FAA); you should get a straight answer from them. Best of all, if you don't like an instructor after one lesson or two, go ELSEWHERE! This is someone you're going to spend at least 60-80 hours in an airplane with. If you don't like his/her teaching style or don't get along, there's no fun in that! Remember, you are the customer, paying for a service!

Last edited:
Run a search on Amazon.com. There are several books out there on how to pick the right instructor.

Some quick tips though... the younger guys/gals probably aren't your best bet if youre looking for a long term instructor. They usually leap onto the next step in a short timefame. Also, some of them only instruct because they have to for the time being.

I'd recommend finding a decent sized school, and getting instruction from a chief/asst. chief flight instructor, or in some cases the owner. They are usually around for a while.

If you're real serious about having a long term instructor, definately go buy/read one of those books on how to choose them. Also keep in mind that there are many benefits to having several instructors throughout your training, (from PPL-MEI).

Steve said:
Where are you located? I may be able to help.
Steve, I am located in Mansfield, OH. Mansfield Lahm Airport (KMFD) is about 4 miles away, a fairly large municipal airport. I know that Richland Aviation is an FBO out there. I also have access to MANY local, smaller airports, including Galion, OH and Ashland, OH (Johnston Aviation.) So, maybe you could help me out? Thanks to all who have replied!! I genuinely appreciate your services. i have found the links to be quite useful.

~Chad

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back