• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

On the job as an airline pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a new guy on reserve and with there being very few open trips in the week ahead, I expect to sit on the couch for most of the next five days. There's one data point for ya.

What is a typical day(s) like as an airline pilot performing their flying and non flying duties?
Well, if you're taxiing your 121 airliner past the hanger where my Caravan is parked and you see me out front grabbing my crotch and pointing at you and laughing, it might be disturbing...especially if you're one of those pinky outstretched while drinking tea types.

Okay, I guess you'd like some serious feedback. As a new reserve guy, if you're lucky enough to get assigned a trip, here's how it goes. Here's my experience at JB so far:

Getting a trip: Maybe you'll find out the day before. Maybe you'll get the "Can you be at the plane in 45 minutes" call. Either way, I'm just glad to be going flying.

Showtime is usually 1 hour prior to pushback time (45 minutes at out-stations). I usually get there a little early to update my computer (all our manuals are on the issued laptop), see who the crew is, find out the gate I'm going to, check the whereabouts of the plane, bring up dispatch paperwork and review, and maybe even look at weather.

Pre-flight: Once on the plane, do some but not all of the following (duties split with Captain): cockpit emergency equipment preflight, exterior pre-flight, load the FMS (Flight Management System) with the flight plan, calculate performance data, brief with Captain and FAs, get ATIS, Pre-departure Clearance, Dispatch paperwork printout from cockpit printer, departure brief with Captain and, time permitting, Say hi to passengers on PA ("Hi, I'm me, Captain is him/her, great crew, flight time, weather here/enroute/destination/enjoy your DirecTV...etc.")

Taxi: handle radio calls and checklists while taxiing out. Brief takeoff/departure with Captain.

Airborne: "Auto-Pilot 2". Read newspaper/magazine/play on computer. Eventually, get ATIS at destination, load arrival/approach into FMS. Update weather/handle radios/etc. as to be expected on any flight.

Landing: Don't crash.

At Gate: Parking/securing checklists. Say goodbye to passengers. Once they're all gone it's either prepare for next leg, help clean the cabin, head to hotel/crashpad/flight home. Since I'm still on reserve, call Crew Services and see what, if any, flight or reserve period I have next.

Sorry so lengthy. Hope that's what you're looking for. Try not to let all the cynicism and other negativity on this board deter your hopes.

Last edited:
Okay, I guess you'd like some serious feedback. As a new reserve guy...
Hahahahaha. Who would have thunk that in the ocean there's a wagon wheel rut with whale poop in it?

Well, if you're taxiing your 121 airliner past the hanger where my Caravan is parked and you see me out front grabbing my crotch and pointing at you and laughing, it might be disturbing...especially if you're one of those pinky outstretched while drinking tea types.

Hahahahaha. Who would have thunk that in the ocean there's a wagon wheel rut with whale poop in it.

Can't you just answer the kid's question and spare him the rest? Oh wait - I forgot this is Flightinfo.

That's much more helpful.
Who would have thunk it? Plane moves, plane stops, coffee, breakfast, lunch, supper and a poop. It's freakin marvel of modern channels of interstate commerce, them planes flying.

Latest resources

Back