Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chperplt

From the Lexington Newspaper

The lone air traffic controller on duty the morning Comair Flight 5191 crashed had only two hours of sleep before starting work on the overnight shift, a federal investigator said Wednesday.

National Transportation Safety Board member Debbie Hersman said the controller had only nine hours off between work shifts Saturday. That was just enough to meet federal rules, which require a minimum of eight hours off between shifts, Hersman said.

The controller, whose name has not been released publicly, worked from 6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Saturday. He came back to work at 11:30 p.m. on the same day to begin an eight-hour overnight shift.

The commuter jet crashed on Sunday morning, in the final hours of the controller’s shift, while trying to take off from Blue Grass Airport.

Federal officials have been looking for explanations why Flight 5191 mistakenly tried to take off from a runway that was too short, crashing in a nearby field and killing 49 of 50 people on board.

The Federal Aviation Administration has already acknowledged violating its own policies when it assigned only one controller to the Lexington tower. FAA guidelines called for two controllers to be working at all times in Lexington

Off topic, but how are you already a Captain at AAY? Are the upgrades over there that quick?

NTSB Briefing at 9:30 PM

Curious if the NTSB had a briefing tonight @ 9:30 PM (Eastern)?
If they did can anybody give me link to it?

chperplt said:
The Federal Aviation Administration has already acknowledged violating its own policies when it assigned only one controller to the Lexington tower. FAA guidelines called for two controllers to be working at all times in Lexington

I'm curious as to who decides how that airport is actually staffed on a daily basis?

That schedule is pretty brutal. I'm surprised LEX ATCT is even open 24 hours.

SkyBoy1981 said:
Off topic, but how are you already a Captain at AAY? Are the upgrades over there that quick?

How am I already a Captain at AAY?? The Chief Pilot called me last May and asked if I would like to upgrade... I said yes. I went to training and passed.... That's how I'm already a Captain at AAY.:rolleyes:

Yes... Upgrade has been pretty quick here.

I'm sorry but maybe there is some, not a lot, of blame towards the controller at LEX, but there are a lot of uncontrolled airports that all regional pilots fly in and out of. There is too much finger pointing going on here. This is a classic case of complacency. Sorry, just my two cents. I mean no disrespect; my prayers go out to the crew, passengers and families.

To come off a day shift and go to a grave shift on the same day is brutal--no matter how much sleep you have. What a joke.

Latest resources

Back