• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Oklahoma State University

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hear OSU has a good program, but look into the University of Oklahoma as well. Both schools are cheap (both in general and for flight ratings). OU has a better reputation for academics and unless your son really enjoys "rural living," Norman is a much better place to spend 4 (or more) years.

I went to OU so I'm (very) biased. I was very happy with the training I received there.

I would also recommend getting a non-aviation degree since the airlines don't seem to place any preference on an aviation degree and it's a good idea to have something to fall back on.

BOOMER SOONER!

Beer&Brauts says some good things about OU, and I havent really heard anything bad about them. OSU is also a good school. when I went there it was reasonably priced. Last time I drove thru Stillwater, the town had grown substantially. B&B also recomends a non-aviation degree. I have to second that. My aviation degree has done me no good since I was laid off from my flying job and became a police dispatcher. Something like a business or IT degree may serve your son better in the long run.

Also think about this, airlines come and go, but airports tend to hang around for the long term. There may be more of a future in the airport management side of aviation.

Beer&Brauts, Do you think OU will get it together for Bedlam this year or will it be another Cowboy stomping? :D

Two more Oklahoma suggestions

Southeast Oklahoma State University in Durant has had a flight program for years. I flew with a gal years ago who graduated from that program. She had not flown for a while, but it was apparent that she had received good training.

Rose State College in Midwest City (just outside OKC) has offered a two-year program for several years. I don't believe that Rose State has its own aircraft. Also, it appears that Rose State is not accredited by one of the six recognized accrediting bodies. That may not be an issue because credits earned there are transferable to Oklahoma public four-year colleges.

Hope that helps some more.

Beer&Brauts, Do you think OU will get it together for Bedlam this year or will it be another Cowboy stomping?

I sure hope so! I'm not gonna make any predictions, though. Still can't believe OSU lost to the Corn-fuskers. If OSU can just get ranked again by Nov 1, OU won't have any problem with 'em!
I just need to get rid of my trip on that day.

I'll second bobbysamd view on Rose State. I took my Instr. and Comm. ground school there - good instructors.

And how 'bout them Broncos, 2-0! Now if they would just give OU's old running back Quentin Griffin some playing time they'll be Super Bowl bound!

Sooners suck- but I'm biased as well. RED and White for the rednecks and white trash in Norman.

OSU still has a very good program and Stillwater has gotten very big from when I was there but still has a very thorough program.

As log as Joe's is there, OSU will be there.

I third the non aviation degree. You will always have that in your back pocket. OSU does however do some strange things. For instance, renaming the football stadium......ugly ugly ugly. Guess money talks.

Prodictions for this years OU versus OSU game? anyone, anyone?

GO POKES!!!!!

It's 12:12am and:

OU STILL SUCKS!

(a message from your friendly neighborhood Longhorn) :p

Joes is ok, but it aint Stillwater without the 'weed :)

I'd be a traitor if I didn't predict osu by atleast 7 this year.

do they both have a flight team or just OSU?

if your son goes for the aviation degree....make him get something else too!!

i went the same route at a different school. aviation degree and all that...i wasnt thinkin. now i have a use for another degree of some kind! something useful right out of school! i say that now since im again sitting on my bumpkis waiting to fly.....again.

Whoa boys! Everyone loves to hate the #1 team in the nation.

328 Dude I'm disappointed in you. Even I root for OSU when they're not against OU. Sooners 28-10 in the bedlam matchup this year. And no, you may not quote me on that!

As to flight schools, you won't go wrong either way. OU's has grown by leaps and bounds since my time there and both offer good value and great fun! Get that non-av degree though.

Sooner born, Sooner bred
Swaayze

Latest resources

Back