• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Oil over $108 / Barrel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Really? Based on what do you feel that way? I would agree we aren't hedged as well as in the "old" days, but certainly I would think we are hedged much better than the legacy carriers right now.

Here are the actual #'s from the latest earnings release for Full Year 2011.

Percent of estimated fuel consumption covered by fuel derivative contracts:

Average Crude Oil Price per Barrel
Up to $90: 64%
$90 to $95: 33%
$95-$105: 15%
Above $105: 39%

Our only weak spot really is if oil sits in the $95-$105 range for the entire year where we only have approx 15% protection. But, anything below $90 we are sitting pretty at 64%, and if oil really skyrockets above $105 we at least have 39% hedged which should significantly cushion us against the competition.

As always we have layered protection reaching out 3-4 years. The earnings release didn't have price/barrel #'s and I haven't taken the time to look them up in the 10-k.

2012: 60%
2013: 50%
2014: 45%

I just read a post on a financial web site message board saying " SWA hedges have run out .....big losses ahead " the author of the post went by general lee......couldn't be the same guy.... just a coincidence..right?

Thanks for the hedging numbers Max....I was going to look those up.

I just read a post on a financial web site message board saying " SWA hedges have run out .....big losses ahead " the author of the post went by general lee......couldn't be the same guy.... just a coincidence..right?

Thanks for the hedging numbers Max....I was going to look those up.

Do you have a link.....not buying it

Laura Wright may have a bit more accurate info than Genital Lee.
Just take a peek at the analyst estimates for this year, don’t see big losses. Do you?

My pickup gets 15mph, and I drive it because (among other reasons) its paid for and reliable.

Taking on a loan to buy a new vehicle simply because of fuel economy is a financially stupid decision...

I assume you meant 15mpg, not mph. Anyway, buying a vehicle that gets 15 miles per gallon was the financially stupid decision for you.

News flash.... The Libyan people HATE YOU! These people have NO IDEA what freedom is or what democracy entails. They (as does the rest of the Middle East) know how to demonstrate and scream death to America, Israel, Europe, etc.

Blanket, biased statement. The UAE for example has not had multiple marches of death to America, death to Israel. The Libyans don't hate me, but they do hate America's foreign policy, one sided support for Israel, and America's lackadaisical attitude on starting unnecessary wars.

As soon as Gaddafi is gone they will all be standing with their hands out looking for the government to supply them with food, shelter, and medical aid.
And are we any different as Americans? Government handouts? Hmmm, where have I heard that before? The "food, shelter, and medical aid" you mentioned exists here as social welfare checks and medicare. And we, the hard working people, pay out of our pockets for those who don't work. And now they want 'free' healthcare. Those who live in a glass house really shouldn't throw stones. So what if the Libyans want food, shelter, and medical aid? Any developed nation, like the US, offers programs in those departments. The problem is getting a government form that has a *good* plan to pay for those things.

When they don't get it guess who they are gonna blame......wait for it...... America, Israel, Europe, etc. These people don't know what a democracy is let alone how to form and maintain one. As soon as they realize that in a democracy a Christian and a Jew have equal rights to a Muslim the country gets burned down again.

They do know what democracy is, enough with the Christian and Jewish comments. Why are you making this religious? Bottom line is they have just had it with the tyrant dictator, and they want different. Like in Egypt, the military will eventually stop listening to Gadhafi, especially when he has ordered his military to execute its own citizens that are protesting. 2 fighter jet pilots ejected and crashed their jet because they refused to carry out bombing orders over their own people. Just a matter of time before the military will relieve Gadhafi. Like in Egypt, the military will temporarily rule, and then elections will be held. The people want their voices heard. When you live under a tyrant, the want for democracy - people's voice - spreads.

I'm not saying that the average Libyan is a terrorist, but they have been led by one for almost 50 years. That alone makes the outcome of this latest uprising scary. I listen to some people with the "let freedom ring" stuff and it makes me laugh. It's almost as if they think the Libyan (Egyptian, Tunisian) George Washington is going to come charging into battle on his white horse demanding ALL people of these countries (including women) have equal rights and freedom. This is NOT 1776 and there is NO Libyan George Washington. However, there are plenty of Libyan and Egyptian radical groups chomping at the bit to get into power. Freedom and Democracy are great, but not all cultures and countries are suited for it. Name one successful Middle Eastern democracy (other than Turkey)..........
Yes, they've been led by a tyrant for 50 years. So get rid of him. Who are you to judge the average Libyan citizen? There are good people there, and good people who can become excellent leaders if given the chance. You're right about the lack of democracies in the Middle East. But I think that's gonna change, starting now.

...I hope it hits $500/ barrel... This will bring the GLOBAL economy crashing down!!!....Then we'll see what happens to OIL....

This commodity has gone far enough..We are ALL slaves to its price and unstable tendencies.

I would be equally as concerned with a little-reported tid bit about the IMF considering replacing the dollar as the reserve currency. If this happens, $200/barrell oil would be cheap.

Latest resources

Back