Offline Jumpseat Restoration

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flight-crew

Can anyone in the know fill us all in on the progress made towards restoring offline cockpit and cargo jumpseating???

Last I heard was that ALPA had the whole new employment verification system set up, but the TSA was dragging it's feet!

I talked to our J/S coord. last week.

1. No offline access anytime soon. In fact...

2. The rumor is, TSA even wants us to list in advance every time we J/S. They just plain don't want us there. If it'd been up to the FAA, we'd had cockpit access back months ago.

Take it for what it's worth.

JayDub

The only thing that is going to get our jumpseats restored is an SOS. This JS ban on top of the bull$hit we have to go through with security is ridiculous.

The unions need to get off their collective asses and get tough on this.

Enough is enough.

It's my understanding that the big problem with offline jumpseating is that ones' employment cannot be electronicaly verified (As if your company ID, License, Medical, and Uniform aren't enough). Meaning that the ticket agent has no way of comfirming you work for the company you say you do, as they can by useing an employee number or pass rider number. Just food for thought here, but why then is it that the FEds are allowed to ride unquestioned? I don't see how their employment can any more verified than any other off line flight officer. What the union should be going apesh**t about is that these feds are given unfetterd access and providing no better proof of elegibility than anyone else. If the seat is off limits to the rest of us, then that rule should be applied across the board, FAA included. Then you'll see someone get off their collective asses and and return what is rightfully our's.
Cheers

JayDub said:
...TSA even wants us to list in advance every time we J/S.
Tell me, what is it these people have against airline pilots? Did Tom Ridge's sister get knocked up by a Chataqua guy or something?

Typhoon1244 said:
Tell me, what is it these people have against airline pilots? Did Tom Ridge's sister get knocked up by a Chataqua guy or something?

LMAO!!!!:D

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, all of our airlines could re-establish offline jumpseat in the interim if they wanted to participate in telephone verification in the same manner as NWA/Alaska and NWA/Hawaiian. There was some talk about that on ALPA message boards recently.

Secondly, it is coming up on 2 years since jumpseats were taken away. We may need to start writing our congressmen and raise hell on the Capitol Hill - tell them that the technology is here, and it has been successfully demonstrated to the FAA/TSA several times, ATA said they're willing to pay for implementation, WHERE IS THE PROBLEM???

Latest resources

Back