Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

labbats

Zulu who?
I'm unfamiliar with fractional flying, so I got to wondering about flying without a cockpit door separating you from the pax. Can you read the newspaper while flying at cruise? I'd have to assume that the paying customers can see right in and would object.

We usually have the curtain open unless the folks in back want it closed. Sometimes, we may shut the curtain at night in order to cut down the light from the back. As for reading with pax onboard, it's a no-go item, if you will.

Sometimes you just have to chat with the person sitting next to you.

I'm unfamiliar with fractional flying, so I got to wondering about flying without a cockpit door separating you from the pax. Can you read the newspaper while flying at cruise? I'd have to assume that the paying customers can see right in and would object.

I'm curious. Does your current employer allow you to read the paper in the cockpit?

I used to read entire novels when I was flying at the Airlines because I would be so freaking board flyiing to the same airports over and over and over and over and over again! Now there is no time (at least on the XL) I am too busy learning about where I am going, what FBO, how to get to the FBO once we land... PAX tranfers, class B airspace and if we will be below it.. calling inrange..... all the stuff you did not have to do at the airline..

I'm curious. Does your current employer allow you to read the paper in the cockpit?

No, I'm supposed to be doing a steady instrument cross check and scan outside for other aircraft for our CLE-MIA flights. So of course that is exactly what I do for 3 hours. I also update my jepps the very day they are released, even if it's my day off and make certain that every gate we come into has lit wands by two people during daylight hours.

I'm not here to say what is and isn't expected at an airline, I'm simply curious about a certain fractional situation.

Last edited:
Not to be blunt, but NetJets wants their pilots to follow the guidance provided in their FOM. Reading a newspaper to pass the time while flying isn't permissible as it's considered a distraction.

Which is sort of what Fischman was getting at.

I think every company wants their employees to follow the FOM. I also feel that if NetJets had locking doors as a procedure their would be a lot more reading going on up there. So IMO its just the nature of the beast that you cannot read in the cockpit there. Personally I feel its a small trade off for the rewards.

However, You guys can't honestly tell me that on an empty leg someones not reading the USA today from the hotel.

What is the policy of clients riding up front. Is there an observers seat, and if so can a PAX ride in it, (with crew approval of course).

Latest resources

Back