• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Occupying the jumpseat to Mexico

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When I was a ferry pilot I jumpseated all the time. I got used to it when i was at my flightschool. First place i went to was Hawaii...what a ride. Cockpit of a 777 w/only 18hrs total time. I had a woody for a week.

You need to go to the airport and talk to the ticket agent, it would be nice to talk to the CA but u need the ticket to get past security, just bring proof of your flight school and you in!!

Joshrk22 said:
Then how do Ferry Pilots do it? I just saw a website that advertised Ferry Pilot services. All of them were able to jumpseat. Think about that one....

Also, who would be my first contact regarding this. The airline company itself, or the captain? Can you just jumpseat for the ride?

Josh, a lot of Ferry outfits hire pilots who are in the CASS system to make things easier for the Ferry returns. As far as Student pilots go, just go to the gate and introduce yourself to the Captain. To get throught security you will 1st need to check in at the ticket counter. Just be sure to have your student pilot certificate with you.

Okay well I don't have my student pilot certificate yet... probably going to get it in the next 2-3 months. I will have to try this sometime. Also, how can you get into the CASS system? And, this is totally free or is there a small fee?

totally free, thats pretty much what the FF is for on you medical/student pilot certificate. ENJOY and ABUSE it!! Where r u training?

3DA - Dalton Airport. I'm going to be flying with a CFI, not from any flight school or anything like that, this guy is independent. There's a FBO at a Class C airport about 6 NM from here, but they told me around $8,000. This CFI I'm with is only charging me $20/hr for the Instruction and $18/hr for the aircraft. It's a Taylorcraft, they also have a Tri-Pacer($25/hr) and a Cherokee($28/hr). I've flown with him a couple times in his Aeronca L-16. I'm going to get my PPL and my tail rating, then probably get checked out on Fixed. I'm only 16 so I'm going to do my Instrument Rating too and hopefully get my PPL and Instrument on my 17th B-day. Haven't really decided when I want to get my ME. Should I get that after my Commercial and CFI? Or start logging ME when I'm 17? When I get my Student, I'm defintely going to go to the local Class C airport to see if I can do a few jumpseats with the local airlines. Still trying to figure out how to get into CASS...

Thats awesome. Get as much ME time as you can as soon as you can. The best part is when your actually jumpseatting you get to log that as actual and as ME time, but not until you get those ratings. Good luck dude, sounds like you have a great plan

Whoa! You get to log that time? Even if you aren't flying? So if I got a 737 Type rating, jumpseated a 737, I could log that time, even though I never stepped foot into the cockpit? Yah, I hope my plan works out... haven't decided on what type for flying for a career though, military or civilian. I'm thinking about the Air Force Academy, and if that doesn't work out, then probably get a degree in computer science and instruct at a local FBO until I have the time to start flying for an airline. Not really sure what to do after that though, everyone is saying not to go regional, so what are you supposed to do then? Also, does a Ph.D help when getting apply to an airline versus Bachelors? I'm thinking about online classes after my Bachelors to get my Ph.D. I can almost skip my freshman year of college anyways, with the amount of AP credits I'm getting in High School, only need to schedule 1 more AP class. I'm just looking for ways to get involved with aviation more, like jumpseating, working at a FBO, etc. etc.

Joshrk22 said:
3DA - Dalton Airport. I'm going to be flying with a CFI, not from any flight school or anything like that, this guy is independent. There's a FBO at a Class C airport about 6 NM from here, but they told me around $8,000. This CFI I'm with is only charging me $20/hr for the Instruction and $18/hr for the aircraft. It's a Taylorcraft, they also have a Tri-Pacer($25/hr) and a Cherokee($28/hr). I've flown with him a couple times in his Aeronca L-16. I'm going to get my PPL and my tail rating, then probably get checked out on Fixed. I'm only 16 so I'm going to do my Instrument Rating too and hopefully get my PPL and Instrument on my 17th B-day. Haven't really decided when I want to get my ME. Should I get that after my Commercial and CFI? Or start logging ME when I'm 17? When I get my Student, I'm defintely going to go to the local Class C airport to see if I can do a few jumpseats with the local airlines. Still trying to figure out how to get into CASS...

Bro. , you are so far ahead of the game. Keep it up and you will be a B737 Captain for SWA by the time you are 30. Just keep plugging away man and don't let anybody here bring you down. Make sure you mention to the Captain and F/A's while you are jumpseating that you are learning to fly out of a Class C airport. That is most impressive and the F/A's get off on stuff like that. Enjoy the perks. Thats why we fly Bro.

you guys are killing me---hillarious----don't forget your library card to prove your identity to the Captain.

Latest resources

Back