Occupying the jumpseat to Mexico

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skywaypil0t

As some of you may have read from a previous post, I am attempting to hitch a ride to Mazatlan, Mexico during the heart of Spring Break season. It goes without saying that all loads on all airlines are close to 100% full.

A new question I am pondering: Is anyone aware of a way to sit up front on any international flight to Mazatlan?

My company is CASS, along with quite a few other airlines operating into MZT, but it is my understanding that CASS simply doesn't work with international trips.

Any help is appreciated and thanks again in advance!

You can J/S Int'l- but there has to be a seat in the back open, CASS or No CASS- doesn't matter.

The Latest...

Hey folks...

It looks like on the weekend I am attempting to Jumpseat to Mazatlan (MZT) the best option will be Alaska Airlines through Seattle. For those that know Alaska Airlines well, could you please let me know what I should expect regarding jumpeseating on international flights?

What should I expect for international taxes (if anything)?

Is it recommended to wear a uniform when jumpseating to Mexico to make identifying yourself easier on the return trip?

Thanks much in advance for your help,
~skywaypil0t

Have you looked into j/s on the many supplemental 121 carriers flying for the tour operators? Carriers like Ryan, USA3000, Champion, etc. They fly for tour operators such as Apple Vacations, Funjet Vacations, MLT Worryfree Vacations, etc.

They operate a few flights a week from most large cities to most Mexican vacation destinations like MZT, PVR, CUN, etc. Getting a line on flights may require some sleuthing on the websites of the carriers themselves, the tour operators and sometimes the website of the departure airport.

They very seldom get jumpseat requests since few pilots know about them but since almost all the pilots are commuters, they are generally very happy to return the favor when asked.

A passport and ID card are essential and a uniform is helpful as you will be listed on the GenDec as an ACM. Don't forget to fill out a CrewDec on return. Get it from the lead FA.

It's possible you will be hit for some fees. I've heard about them but the only time I had to j/s offline from CCS to MIA, I didn't have to pay.

Hope this helps some.

Can anyone jumpseat? Like student pilots or private pilots? Or do you have to work for an airline? What about Ferry Pilots?

Joshrk22 said:
Can anyone jumpseat? Like student pilots or private pilots? Or do you have to work for an airline? What about Ferry Pilots?

Yes, Students and Privates are welcome. Just be sure to bring your student pilot certificate to the gate and introduce yourself to the Captain and you will be on your way. If your flight school isn't in CASS you will have to ride in the back.

Joshrk22 said:
What's CASS?

Cockpit Access Security System. To physically ride in a cockpit jumpseat your picture and info has to be in the CASS master date base. Before 9/11 there was no CASS, you could just walk up and hitch a ride and occupy the jumpseat. Since 9/11, you must be in the CASS datebase to occupy the physical jumpseat. If you aren't in CASS you can still Jumpseat for the purpose or hitching a free ride, but there has to be an empty seat in the back for you since you can't occupy the physical jumpseat. Remember to introduce yourself to the Lead Flight Attendant as well and tell her you are a student or private pilot jumpseating.....if there are extra 1st class seats the Lead F/A will usually offer you one.

Then how do Ferry Pilots do it? I just saw a website that advertised Ferry Pilot services. All of them were able to jumpseat. Think about that one....

Also, who would be my first contact regarding this. The airline company itself, or the captain? Can you just jumpseat for the ride?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back