OAK to HNL what is involved

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CarjCapt

Maybe doing a OAK to HNL and haven't been out of the Contiential US. What is involved????

tks in advance.

CarjCapt said:
Maybe doing a OAK to HNL and haven't been out of the Contiential US. What is involved????

tks in advance.

First and foremost, go to a good international procedures course! Otherwise, no biggie. Obviously you have ETPs to consider, survival equipment, HF communications and so on. Otherwise it's just like flying in the states, just covering a lot of water with few alternates should something go wrong.

Again, I would stress going to an int'l procedures course. Over every body of water has its own set of procedures and contigencies. The time to wonder about them is not when you have a problem and you're trying to read the fine print on a chart.

2000Flyer

Piece of cake ... like 2000 said go to school and read your International Procedures Manual.

Go to www.trainati.com and they will provide you with an international procedures manual as well. They will also provide you with revisions provided you are a current customer.

I'm assuming that you're Part 91. You will probably need to have your LOA updated. The International Procedures School will take care of the training. There may also be some equipment issues to deal with.

'Sled

pond crossing

:)Brush up on your use of the HF, and take a good look at your Map to HNL for the required reporting points and reporting points procedures. Other than that it is just like crossing the US with a lot less Radio traffic and aircraft traffic.
Bring some reading material:).

While we're on the subject of International procedures courses, where would you recommend? I've toyed with the idea of staying a few extra days at a FSI recurrent and going through their program, any thoughts?

CarjCapt said:

tks in advance.

Don't forget to 'Top Off' the a/c before departure. And bring a good pair of trunks w/ you - oh yeah, sunscreen too!

Baja.

fly4kix said:
While we're on the subject of International procedures courses, where would you recommend? I've toyed with the idea of staying a few extra days at a FSI recurrent and going through their program, any thoughts?
That will certainly work. I would also recommend attending NBAA's International Operators Conference. It's held annually. I've been to 5 or 6 of them and it's well worth the time and effort.

There is one course that I hear is as good as they come. It's presented by Dave Stohr at Air Training International. Dave is the "go to guy" when it comes to international operations. We'll probably try them next time around.

'Sled

fly4kix said:

Anyone of them are good. FSI, SimuFlite, ATI. I heard Dave Stohr (ATI) at the NBAA International Ops Conference this year and his presentation was one of the best out there. You hear nothing but good comments about his organization.

There is another new one offereing int'l procedures located in the DFW area but their name escapes me right now. I'll try to remember to look it up when I get back to the states later this week.

Latest resources

Back