• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BRA

Rollins Rules!
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/995382/M/

I am just confused as to why they paint all these planes in the new colors and then park them. I know it is a MX function, but this still seems strange. Some of the planes in this pic look like 757's? How much does it cost to paint a plane? You would think they could have parked some of these 9's before they needed paint? What am I missing here?

BRA said:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/995382/M/

I am just confused as to why they paint all these planes in the new colors and then park them. I know it is a MX function, but this still seems strange. Some of the planes in this pic look like 757's? How much does it cost to paint a plane? You would think they could have parked some of these 9's before they needed paint? What am I missing here?

They have been renegotiating a lot of aircraft leases lately. When the leasing company doesn't take them seriously, they park the plane in the desert & tell the leasing company to go get it.........unless they want to lower the lease

Our bidding has reflected these changes as aircraft have been taken to & from the desert. The overall result has been a sucessful reduction in most of the lease rates.

320AV8R

It's also probably cheaper to park them than fly them, particularly if they're close to heavy check due dates.

We had a similar stance with the lessors and supposedly have done fairly well, with 90% of the leases being negotiated a lot lower. I just read that we will now save about $200 million a year annually with the new lease rates. Some of the 737-200s supposedly went from around $100,000 a month to around $15,000 a month. Same with some MD88s, that were going for $285,000 a month, down to $80,000 a month. I would think a lot of those NW 757s and A320s would be wanted by other carriers though since they are newer, and I wonder if those will be tougher to negotiate.

Bye bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Anyone know what NWA leases the avro for. I think xj subleases them for 200,000/month from nwa. I'm wondering will a new rate be easier for NWA to negotiate from the lessor? Are those Avros in demand elsewhere; china or europe maybe?

Lets hope they can bring that plane down to 50,000/month. Possible?

General Lee said:
We had a similar stance with the lessors and supposedly have done fairly well, with 90% of the leases being negotiated a lot lower. I just read that we will now save about $200 million a year annually with the new lease rates. Some of the 737-200s supposedly went from around $100,000 a month to around $15,000 a month. Same with some MD88s, that were going for $285,000 a month, down to $80,000 a month. I would think a lot of those NW 757s and A320s would be wanted by other carriers though since they are newer, and I wonder if those will be tougher to negotiate.

Bye bye--General Lee

General-

I heard Steenland speak about month before our CH 11 filing. He said some A320's leases were 3X that of other A320s. From what I understand, almost all the A320s / A319s / 757s have drastically reduced rates. We did give back 3 to 5 A319s, though, because they wouldn't lower the leases.

Max Powers-

I understand they are doing the same with the AVROs.

320AV8R

That's a lot of big airplanes parked there.... are those 747's and DC10's playing the lease game and coming back or are they gone for good?

Latest resources

Back