NTSB MARKS 10th ANNIVERSARY OF CRASH OF TWA 800

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rock said:
The only people who believe it was shot down by a missile are people who don't know anything about missiles. Missiles tend to leave a lot of evidence on things they hit. Like thousands of holes and pieces of warhead fragments. Boeing, TWA and ALPA, all agreed that there was no evidence of either a bomb or missile exploding in or near the aircraft.

Some specs on the Stinger that conspiracy theorists believe shot down 800.

Note the max range and ceiling quoted. How high was 800? How far away do they say the shooters were?

Primary functionTo provide close-in, surface-to-air weapons for the defense of forward combat areas, vital areas and installations against low altitude air attacks. ManufacturerPrime - Hughes Missile System Company
Missile - General Dynamics /Raytheon Corporation PropulsionDual thrust solid fuel rocket motor Length5 feet (1.5 meters) Width5.5 inches (13.96 centimeters) Weight12.5 pounds (5.68 kilograms) Weight fully armed34.5 pounds (15.66 kg) Maximum system span3.6 inches (9.14 cm) Range1 to 8 kilometers Sight ring10 mils FuzingPenetration, impact, self destruct Ceiling10,000 feet (3.046 kilometers) SpeedSupersonic in flight USMC UnitsLow-Altitude Air Defense (LAAD) Battalions: 3 active duty, 2 reserve Crew2 enlisted Guidance systemFire-and-forget passive infrared seeker WarheadsHigh explosive Rate of fire1 missile every 3 to 7 seconds Type of fire"Fire-and-Forget" SensorsPassive infrared Introduction date1987 Full-rate production 3QFY94 Unit Replacement Cost$38,000 Total program cost (TY$) 1060 systems $7281M Average unit cost (TY$) $6M

SkiFishFly said:
OBTW - I have met and worked with some of the folks who contributed to the accident investigation.

Me too.

Conroy--Now I remember why people are running away from FI. Thanks.

I guess you all are right. I've got to break this nasty habit of not believing everything the government tells me.

TC
(Still waiting for the next airplane to "just blow up" with no ignition source.)

Hey TC,

Check out the tribute one of your coworkers made on SJ website (if you haven't already.) You will need a box of tissues, it's beautiful.

Rock said:
The only people who believe it was shot down by a missile are people who don't know anything about missiles. Missiles tend to leave a lot of evidence on things they hit. Like thousands of holes and pieces of warhead fragments. Boeing, TWA and ALPA, all agreed that there was no evidence of either a bomb or missile exploding in or near the aircraft.

That's because nanotechnology was used to cover up the evidence. Nanotechnology was either placed in the missile or packaged on the aircraft, the evidence was removed by nano robotics, damage was repaired by nano robots. A second set of nano robots was sent in by the navy divers to eat the first set of nano robots, those nano robots were then recalled, and fed to a dog. The dog pooped the digested nano robots and someone from the NSA was ordered to burn the poop. Don't ask me how I know this, just let it suffice to say that Micael Moore let me see the transcripts and a movie about the operation will be released this summer.

Rock said:
Missiles tend to leave a lot of evidence on things they hit. Like thousands of holes and pieces of warhead fragments. Boeing, TWA and ALPA, all agreed that there was no evidence of either a bomb or missile exploding in or near the aircraft.

Would a kenetic missle leave all that evidence?

I work with some former TWAer's. One was inside the executive suite. The other was safety person. The "insider" stated all the HQ phones were bugged right after the incident (could have been the "prudent" thing to do). The consensus was something other than a fuel tank explosion brought this ship down. Again, that is one person's opinion and I have no way of proving what other people thought.
The safety person actually was on site and got to see the remains. He thinks it was a fuel explosion but confesses he is only repeating what people were telling him. He was out of college and did not have any experience in dealing with aircraft incidents/investigations.
I think what happens is when things defy logic then the conspiracy theories kick in. Granted, lack of knowledge and facts help fan the flames. I just take peace in knowing the most ethical person in the world was the POTUS at the time :) - which only adds to the mystery.
Guess I belong to the KOOKS club - Keepers of Odd Knowledge

TWA 800 was the subject of a full criminal investigation for two years after it happened. Maybe that is why the phones were bugged. Kind of funny that they all knew about it. You could have some fun with that.
I think you are right about conspiracy theories kicking in when things seem to defy logic. I just flew across the Pacific in an aircraft that has a history of catching on fire and plunging into the ocean (SwissAir MD-11). The problems that caused the first one are still there in the one I was flying. But it hasn't happened since, so I guess I'll keep taking my chances it won't happen again. Sometimes all the stars and planets just align the wrong way and what is normally only a potential disaster, becomes a disaster.

Rock said:
Sometimes all the stars and planets just align the wrong way and what is normally only a potential disaster, becomes a disaster.
Why would your death be a disaster?

Why didn't the FAA issue an immediate AD for all the remaining US operated
747-100 and 200 series airplanes? I still think it was a bomb for one
simple reason. It was set to detonate when the airplane would have
been well over the Atlantic. The pieces would have been in water
several miles deep and would have never been found. The flight left
JFK an hour late and as a result the wreckage was in water only 200
feet deep.

FN FAL said:
Why would your death be a disaster?
Well, my death alone would be simply a near disaster, but distributing the several pallets of dangerous goods we were carrying all over Tokyo probably would really hurt FedEx stock, and that would be a definite disaster.

Latest resources

Back