• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NPA Presidential Election Results

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Southwest= I love it. Folks, Airtran has +/- 130 airplanes, southwest has +/-450 airplanes. If you feel you need 100k for 2 year FO (like that is going to last long at SW) then go to SouthWest. I agree it would be nice, but give them another couple of quarters. The company could put you more in line with the likes of the mainstream of Continenatl, Delta, United, Nwest, on first year pay and no benefits for 6 months. I think people always want to point to the bad points in life. Be GLAD Airtran is growing and ALOT of the PEOPLE want to be there!

Posts like this make me wonder if this profession will ever get back the prestige and compensation we lost. We've been beaten down for so long that we forgot what it means to be an airline pilot.

People want to be here? Who's that? Commuter guys who are flying their a$$es off for crap wages and no retirement? Sure this place looks good to them but how does it compare to what airline pilots have historically made?

$100/hr for a 2nd year FO is marginally acceptable.

[
quote=scarlet;1439447]Southwest= I love it. Folks, Airtran has +/- 130 airplanes, southwest has +/-450 airplanes. If you feel you need 100k for 2 year FO (like that is going to last long at SW) then go to SouthWest. I agree it would be nice, but give them another couple of quarters. The company could put you more in line with the likes of the mainstream of Continenatl, Delta, United, Nwest, on first year pay and no benefits for 6 months. I think people always want to point to the bad points in life. Be GLAD Airtran is growing and ALOT of the PEOPLE want to be there!
[/QUOTE]

First, why the management apologist attitude? I think we should all strive for UPS, FDEX, SWA level type of compensation. Is it always attainable? Clearly not always. But it shouldn't stop anyone from trying. I believe AMR and CAL will be taking this stance.

Second, why the slight SWA bashing? For all we know the SWA salaries might even go up from where they are today.

Finally, people will want to go to Airtran only if good pay and QOL of life is attainable. Otherwise, there are plenty of airlines currently hiring.

if you look at airline pilot central sw 2nd year fo's make around 86 an hour i think...not 100

although they can make 100 grand a year if they work it...

any swa fo's care to chime in?

Southwest= I love it. Folks, Airtran has +/- 130 airplanes, southwest has +/-450 airplanes. If you feel you need 100k for 2 year FO (like that is going to last long at SW) then go to SouthWest. I agree it would be nice, but give them another couple of quarters. The company could put you more in line with the likes of the mainstream of Continenatl, Delta, United, Nwest, on first year pay and no benefits for 6 months. I think people always want to point to the bad points in life. Be GLAD Airtran is growing and ALOT of the PEOPLE want to be there!

I don't want to be there! I left thank you very much!!!

I am glad Mike got voted in. Good job guys!

Bigeasy

if you look at airline pilot central sw 2nd year fo's make around 86 an hour i think...not 100

How's it going EMB?????

There are many ways to increase your credit for the month. Believe it or not you can make six figures with just a little overtime and creative trip trading. If you live in your base you will definatley make some coin.

Later.

Bigeasy

How's it going EMB?????

There are many ways to increase your credit for the month. Believe it or not you can make six figures with just a little overtime and creative trip trading. If you live in your base you will definatley make some coin.

Later.

Bigeasy

thats what i'm talking about...

whats up playa?

Avg FO is 100 "hours," times 86, times 12.

17 days off.

OrlandoSentinel.com

AirTran pilots select new leader

Jason Garcia
Sentinel Staff Writer
October 25, 2007

Deadlocked in negotiations over a new contract, the pilots union at Orlando-based AirTran Airways elected a new president Wednesday who, a union spokesman vowed, "will take a very hard line with the company."

Capt. Mike Best, who has been with AirTran since October 2000, beat three other contenders to become president of the National Pilots Association, which represents about 1,500 AirTran pilots. Best won about 63 percent of the vote.

He replaces former union President Allen Philpot, who was ousted in September by union members unhappy with a tentative labor contract Philpot had helped negotiate with AirTran executives. The union subsequently voted down that deal, and a federal mediator has put the talks on hold until after the first of the year, ensuring that any potential labor strife won't disrupt the busy holiday-travel season.

AirTran, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings Inc., and its pilots have been haggling for more than two years over a new contract. Best was a member of the union's negotiating team early on but relinquished his position more than a year ago to pursue other business opportunities, union spokesman Brian Gaudet said.

Best could not be reached for comment. Gaudet said he would seek significant concessions from AirTran.

"Mike has some definite opinions about what he would like to see in the contract," Gaudet said, citing concerns about scheduling, pay and other issues. "He's looking for a contract that would definitely put this pilot group right in the mainstream and dramatically closer to Southwest."

AirTran spokesman David Hirschman congratulated Best: "We look forward to working with him constructively."

But he also said that the low-cost carrier is determined to hold down its expenses. Labor costs are second only to jet fuel as the biggest expense at AirTran, which, according to regulatory filings, spent about $219 million on salaries, wages and benefits during the first half of 2007.

"We're not going to do anything that jeopardizes our position as the nation's low-cost leader," Hirschman said. "We've got to continue to offer low fares to be competitive, and we will continue to do that."

AirTran pilots will fill three other union leadership positions in elections next month.

Press Release Response

October 25, 2007

Captain Mike Best, newly elected president of the National Pilots Association wants to set the record straight on his first full day of duty as union leader for AirTran Airways pilots.

Yesterday a press report, the first addressing his agenda as president, went to print without authorization. It was followed up today by an article in the Orlando Sentinel.

“Any elected official should have the privilege of authorizing their first press release. The article in the Orlando Sentinel went to press without my knowledge,” said Best. “My concern is that it does not accurately invoke the tone I wanted to set for my approach with the Company. I’m also disappointed that the pilots had to read this first communication as well. It’s not in alignment with the approach I intended to instill when I campaigned for office.”

Captain Best’s position paper for his campaign spoke of service and union stewardship. He fervently maintains that the union consists of over 1600 pilots who fly for AirTran and decisions about the content of any future tentative agreement will be based on the collective desire of the pilot group.

“To tell our pilot group and the Company that I will ‘take a very hard line’ and ask for ‘significant concessions from the company’ was misinformation that did not originate from me,” said Best. “I am definitely capable of being an aggressive advocate for our pilots. However, progress is made and positive relationships forged when there’s balance.”

Mediated talks with the Company resume after the first of the year. Captain Best assures his colleagues that a tempered, steadfast and constructive approach based on the pilot group’s decisions will help bridge the issues that have thus far kept the pilots and the Company from reaching a ratified labor agreement.

Any future questions or requests for information can be directed to NPA General Counsel Laura Backus.

National Pilot's Association
3401 Norman Berry Drive, Suite 254
Atlanta, Georgia 30344
(404) 559-7700 Office

Latest resources

Back