• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AlbieF15

F15 Ret/FDX/InterviewPrep
Kav, Flying, and others...

How was indoc? What is the latest word from Cheever, Lewis, etc. al on the next year at the company?

And...welcome aboard!

I didn't see anything on the company web site saying that there was a class that started yesterday (11/18). Maybe they're a little slow posting the info.

NightFlyer

The FLEX instructor I flew with last night said there was a class scheduled for Dec as well. He didn't have anymore info than that though. Hopefully it will pick up even more after the first of the year.

T-38 Dude

I have lost "Kav's" phone number, so I cannot get in touch with him to confirm he's in class now. As Nightflyer said, the web doesn't make any mention of a new class. Hopefully everyone is there and the class is raging on.... Does anyone have any confirmation of the class yet?

Oh, we're here all right. Class started on schedule on Nov 18. We are 2 days into indoc. I could give you a very complete briefing on the corporate organization of FedEx, and by noon tomorrow, my new uniform pants will be properly tailored. But, you probably are more interested in other news.
All 24 of us can probably plan on remaining at the bottom of the totem pole for awhile. We were told very clearly today that there would be no December class. Maybe March is the latest word. Looking to hire about 150 next year. We are all going 727 S/O. We got to list our dream bids today, but frankly, my dream bid right about now is the panel on the 72. That's a good thing, because I think I'll be able to get very acquainted with it. No complaints. We are all thanking our lucky stars to be here.
I'm no expert yet, but if I had any recommendations for anyone already in the company, I'd recommend a very early retirement. I mean, what's left after completing 727 S/O training? Seize the moment, and retire early. Those of us at the bottom of the food chain will do our best to pick up any slack.

Rock

Welcome!

Rock,

Welcome to FedEx! And I'm not saying that because I move a little higher on the list...:). Hey, and free advertisement here, got a crashpad in Cordova that has room...rent is 250ish a month...spread the word! :)

Anyway, no DC-10 backseaters? Crap...down I go on the S/O list...sheesh! :)

Congrats again and good luck!

FastCargo

march...yuk. i was hoping for jan for the next class. let's hope it changes just like the..."there are never classes during peak" ...did. oh well, being in the pool is better than not being in the pool.

Higher Math

Lets see,

150 in 2003 minus 50 in the pool (round number, I'm not sure what the new pool number is). 25 trained a month, which means the pool is exhausted in Apr 03. New interviewees may start training as early as May 03. If you get interviewed in late Jun to Jul you may be looking at another pool. Aren't the guys who just started training from the June 2002 time frame? Sooo, for planning purposes, since I'm hoping to get on with Fed Ex, if I'm one of the lucky 100 out of 1000 hopefuls to get an interview in 2003, and doubting that I’d be one of the first called, I can look to start training in winter of 2004.

Looks like a year training commitment wouldn't hurt may of us right now. As for me..."what size shoe was that again madam?"

Well...nobody at HQ ever calls me for my opinion on how to run the company. Before you FDX hopefuls get too morose, however, here is what I have been told since I got here:

Nov 2001--"Your 26 Nov class is cancelled. Don't expect a new class until Feb/Mar at soonest! " (Uh....can you make a 7 Jan class?)

Jan 2002--"we can only guarantee that there will be at least ONE class behind you...a small one...so none of you will be caboose"
(In fact, a class of 8 was followed by 2 classes of 12 per month for 3 months, which then went to 16 per class through the summer....total of around 200 hired in 2002 after us)

Aug 2002--"all further training is cancelled for the year. We won't train again until late next spring" (However...24 Nov class pops up)

FDX is a very pragmatic company. They act "poor" when they are making money, and they are very afraid of spending even a few extra training dollars. That very pragmatic attitude, while frustrating for those wanting to join, is at least fiscally responsible. Far better to work for a solid, cautious company than an enthsiatic but fiscally irresponsible one. I have seen predictions of no more/slow hiring since I got here, but I'd say 200 hired in a year is a pretty good year. Sure, its less than postal peak hiring but at least you have a chance. Keep the faith.

More 11/18 news

Another bit of info for guys the guys waiting to get in.

Were told that a guy that interviews right now would probably be looking at a class date sometime in August. Hope this gives a better idea of timeline.

Max

Latest resources

Back