• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No speed restriction below 10000

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It went away not long after a Delta 727 tagged a bird climbing out of IAH. It was decided that the increased damage risk could not be properly quantified, so the FAA ended the test.

pianoman said:
Yeah, stupid safety.

"Safety" my butt. Any pilot can refuse a speed assignment for operational reasons if they think something's unsafe. But the reason is obvious for ALPA's s0-called concern for higher speeds....

Airline pilots are hourly wage earners, and higher speeds mean fewer minutes per leg, thus fewer minutes/$$s over monthly guarantee, which over a month of legs could mean a boat payment (or at least the gas to put in it). Going slow only acts as a safety net for their bank account.

It's for this same reason that many, if they can wrangle it, will knowingly push-back a few feet into a ground stop to get the time clock punched and ticking. Then as the pax suffer and F/As work in back, the pilots can recline in their seats up front happily munching pretzels while watching the clock thinking, "Ha, there's the alimony for Biaatch #2".

sabreliner said:
It went away not long after a Delta 727 tagged a bird climbing out of IAH. It was decided that the increased damage risk could not be properly quantified, so the FAA ended the test.

Airtran also did not want the 300 KT rule. Apparently they were worried about some of their pilots being able to stay ahead of the airplane.:laugh:

Uppercrust,

Your above post is insulting. Almost all of the AirTran pilots I have flown with are outstanding, many as good as we were at TWA, and certainly better than just about everyone at AA, and probably you too, (except the TWA group), .. but then there is "special Ed".. but that's another story.. You, on the other hand, (Falcon 20, etc.) are stuck in the bizjet rut. Stay there. There isn't any room in the mens club for the likes of you.

Rik--What did uppercrotch say? I've had him blocked for awhile now since he's such a dooshbag.

Take care.TC

Rik717pilot said:
Uppercrust,

Your above post is insulting. Almost all of the AirTran pilots I have flown with are outstanding, many as good as we were at TWA, and certainly better than just about everyone at AA, and probably you too, (except the TWA group), .. but then there is "special Ed".. but that's another story.. You, on the other hand, (Falcon 20, etc.) are stuck in the bizjet rut. Stay there. There isn't any room in the mens club for the likes of you.

Don't get insulted by it!:laugh: It's just fun in the sandcontainer. What's up with special Ed?

Latest resources

Back