• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No more O2 mask--if you act now

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Precautions only make sense if the threat is substantial. The threat of a rapid or explosive decompression occurring just when a pilot is using the lav is so small putting on the mask is just unnecessary. Time for this reg to change.
I think the FAA agreed with you on this. The FAA had actually published a rulemaking in December of 2005 that changed the required altitude to have the mask on from above FL250 to above FL350. They were so sure this was a no-brainer that they published it as "a direct final" rule (skipping the customary "proposal" comment period. Here it is:

SUMMARY: In this direct final rule, the FAA is amending its regulation on the use of pilot supplemental oxygen. The amendment changes the flight level at which the remaining pilot at the controls of the airplane must put on and use his oxygen mask if the other pilot at any time leaves his control station of the airplane. This amendment revises that altitude to "above flight level 350" from "above flight level 250." It will also eliminate the needless use of oxygen that is not otherwise required to provide for safety in air carrier operations. This will reduce needless expenditures to replace oxygen equipment that is subject to excessive wear and tear.

DATES: Effective January 9, 2006.

In accordance with Sec. 11.13, the FAA is issuing this rule as a direct final with request for comment because we do not expect to receive any adverse comments, and thus, an NPRM is unnecessary. However, to be certain that we are correct, we set the comment period to end before the effective date. If the FAA receives any adverse comment or notice, then the final rule is withdrawn before it becomes effective. The FAA may then issue an NPRM.

The FAA anticipates that this regulation will not result in adverse or negative comment and therefore is issuing it as a direct final rule. This final rule reduces the restrictiveness of a requirement as it applies to air carriers conducting operations under part 121. The reduction in the requirement will not affect the safety of these operations because of the improvement of oxygen equipment. As a result, the FAA has determined that this amendment is a relieving change that has no adverse effect on public safety.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...64a7136de336f3e7862570d700784f73!OpenDocument

Boy, were they surprised. The NTSB essentially humiliated the FAA by going public with a "what the heck were you thinking" and "gee, you sure are stupid" comment. They could have handled in quietly but it seems they wanted to make a point. The FAA immediately withdrew the rule. Here's their removal comment:

"On November 10, 2005, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) published a direct final rule to amend its regulation on the use of pilot supplemental oxygen with an effective date of January 9, 2006. The FAA received an adverse comment from the National Transportation Safety Board stating that the FAA relied on time of useful consciousness data that did not represent actual pilot performance under realistic decompression conditions. In accordance with Sec. 11.31, which states if the FAA receives an adverse comment it will notify the public by publishing a document in the Federal Register, the FAA is using this notice to withdraw this direct final rule in whole."

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...c6432c5f14e19330862570f3006ba317!OpenDocument

Personally, I think the FAA had done a post-9/11 risk analysis of the intruder in the cockpit scenario and decided that it was, in fact, a signficant risk. This rulemaking change balanced the new risk (intruder) with the old (decompression) and found a safe compromise: change the altitude to FL350.

Too bad common sense did not prevail. Please, go to the link and post your comment. We can get this changed!

http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/home.html#submitComment?R=0900006480a41a09

Last edited:
so let me get this straight, rather than use a sanitary wipe and wipe down the mask before you use it, you would rather jeopardize up to 400 people on board if there is a rapid decompression. Especially the guys that fly in the high 30's low 40's?

Those sanitary wipes might make you feel better but they don't kill germs and viruses.

I can hear the FAA's response now, "we're not going remove the requirement for the other pilot to wear the mask but we are going to require that each pilot is issued their own mask to prevent the spread of disease." Of course, the company is going to treat this like headsets and guess who is going to have to foot the bill?:rolleyes:

The Air Force's rule is the pilot in the seat has the mask on when above FL350 with the other pilot is out of the seat. So I think the FAA was trying to match that.

You guys a such a bunch of whining a$$ little girls. Grow a set, be smart and put the F*&ing mask on. Germs are everywhere and in far worse places you touch daily than an aircraft oxygen mask.

I thought all you were required to do is pretend to put the mask on while the other dude was leaving the cockpit. Once he dings to come back in you were suppose to put it back on.

I must be confused!!!

You guys a such a bunch of whining a$$ little girls. Grow a set, be smart and put the F*&ing mask on. Germs are everywhere and in far worse places you touch daily than an aircraft oxygen mask.
It isn't about the germs. That's a lame reason to change the rule.

However unlikely, it is about an intruder gaining access and grabbing a device that is cinched onto my head like an alien facehugger.

This is a pilot preparing to fight off a cockpit intruder by himself: http://www.bert-san.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/1979_alien_012.jpg

Submit your comments at this link. Let's just get this rule changed!!

Last edited:
I thought all you were required to do is pretend to put the mask on while the other dude was leaving the cockpit. Once he dings to come back in you were suppose to put it back on.

I must be confused!!!
When a fed is in the jumpseat that's not gonna work. I know a captain who got his license suspended for six months for that.

If the first time you've put it on and worn it for the entire time the other pilot is out is when a fed is in the jumpseat, it's going to be obvious. Do you know how to configure the comm panel to talk through the mask to talk to the pilot who is ringing from behind the door to get back in? You can't use the handset or the phone set because you'd have to take the mask off to do that.

If you don't know how to do that then you don't want to be figuring it out with a fed watching you trying to figure out what the heck you're doing while you're trying to figure out what the heck you're doing. It'll be obvious you've never done it before.

And just about that time, ATC calls to give you a new clearance....

This is a pilot configured to talk to ATC and to the pilot wanting to get back into the cockpit: http://www.bert-san.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/1979_alien_012.jpg

Let's just get this rule changed!! Submit your comments here:

http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/home.html#submitComment?R=0900006480a41a09

Last edited:
Actually, they should require all pilots that fly above 25,000' to go through an altitude chamber check every 5 years or so.

Do any of these 'shake and bake" schools require this of the "children of the magenta line"?

Latest resources

Back