Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...later this year:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51564,00.html

"United is preparing to commence pilot hiring later this year. If you are interested in becoming a United pilot, please continue to check this page for more information."

NICE!!

Besides getting a seniority number, who would want to work for United? Their 3rd year pay on the bus isn't what most regional CAs make.

I'd love to work for United, and maybe will put in an app, but at this time, I simply can't afford it. The last few years of the "regional glut" has made some people making too much to afford the paycut.

This isn't flame, BTW. Check out their payscales on www.airlinepilotpay.com

With all that said, their won't be a shortage of apps, simply a shortage of experienced people.

For the first time I actually looked at the pay there. Yuck!!! Not even $27K first year!?! That is crazy! That is less than I make first year at Allegiant.

Makes me wonder what kinda quals it will take to get hired there.

I just hope they don't have the audacity this time to charge applicants $$$ just to apply! IMO it's criminal to have to pay just to apply! Who misses the old scan tron bubble sheet?

For the first time I actually looked at the pay there. Yuck!!! Not even $27K first year!?!

Like a good friend told me when I considered being a journalist before I rediscovered my passion for flying:
You have to go hungry for a while before you get where you are going.

Now mind you I don't know your living situation ie: (ex) wife, kid(s), mortgage, cars, credit cards etc. that saying may be cliche, but that's something to think of

-Paul

I'm sure they will have PLENTY of resumes from highly-qualified pilots who want the long-term payoff of a legacy job despite its short-term issues.

5. How many passed up recall - why?

Reasons I passed on the recall...

1. United has no aircraft orders (the only legacy who doesn't)

2. Pay cut. Would be making about 20k less at United (on 3rd yr pay) than current gig

3. Commute. Would be worse for me at UA. Would be commuting on days off (rather than now where I commute on days I work)

4. Age 65. Currently seniority advancement at United is fueled by retirements. There is very little growth and I felt that with the new rule (it will happen, IMO) I would be kept in the lowest paying position for much longer

5. Possible merger. Tilton is he11 bent on a merger. I felt that if that were to happen I could wind up on the street again

6. Foreign ownership. Again, Tilton is he11 bent on this issue. He would like nothing more than to give United flying away to Lufthansa or some other EU carrier (IMO)

7. Days off. Right now I'm getting 15-17 days off per month. Would be at 12-13 at United

8. Competition. United has been hit hard in recent years and it will continue. In the past few years Southwest has moved into IAD, DEN and will get into SFO. They have also built up their Chicago presence. Virgin America has deep pockets and I expect them to start up operations in SFO soon. Not to mention JB, Skybus and Airtran, while not generally competing head to head with UA will continue to put pressure on domestic yields.

9. Open skies. It is coming with the EU and will probably come to China which will further put pressure on United's most lucrative routes.

10. Hats. United still requires them. They make my head sweat which creates a cheese-like fungus on my forehead. Sure, it's good with wine and crackers, but with the paycut I wouldn't be able to afford the wine.

Granted, I don't have a crystal ball. I really don't know what it will be like to be at United in the future. I looked at the next 3-5 years, which looked better at my current job. For those who say they look at the long term prospects (ie; pay) at United to be OK to good and can take the pay hit for 3 or more years...think about this... I thought the same thing when I was hired in year 2000. The reality is that I would be better off financially had I just stayed with the regional carrier I worked for since I was originally hired there in 1996. Many of you can take that leap of faith. Everyone's situation is different though. Personally, I couldn't make the leap of faith and hope that things would get better at United. I have a family, a mortgage and other bills that cannot be ignored.

I am certain that United will have no problem finding enough people to apply and anxious to work there. The first new-hire class will be filled with giddy newbies just as they were 7-10 years ago. Some may go on to have a great career with United. Others may not. It all depends on your personal situation.

Good luck to all those who wish to work there.

GP

Like a good friend told me when I considered being a journalist before I rediscovered my passion for flying:
You have to go hungry for a while before you get where you are going.

Good point! Sure, starve, go hungry for the sake of going where you want to. Because it will be your first and only time had to suck up a crappy wage in this job. Lord knows, most of the applicants have NEVER had to do anything like that before.

Sarcasm off.

UAL looking for Interview Captains and the latest on UAL Hiring.

Good morning. This is Sean Donohue with a Hotline on Tuesday, June 19.
I'm very pleased to announce that starting this summer, United will
begin interviewing and hiring new pilots for the first time since 2001.

This is good news - for our pilots, our customers, and for United
Airlines. These new pilots will enable us to ensure the highest level of
service for our customers, while maintaining an efficient, flexible
schedule.

We anticipate that by the end of the June we will have offered recall
to all furloughed pilots and those who plan to return to United will do
so by September, except for those on active military status or an
approved leave of absence. Driven in part by increases in international
flying - we anticipate hiring and training up to 100 new pilots in 2007.
The exact number depends on changes to the mandatory pilot retirement
age currently being considered by Congress. We expect the first new
hire pilots will head into training at DENTK in September and be out
flying the line as early as December.

To help ensure that this moves forward efficiently, we have selected a
veteran B737 captain from the line who will help administer the
application and hiring process. With feedback from ALPA, United is developing
a new online hiring process which includes an online application
screening followed by in-person interviews with line pilots. Prospective
flight officer candidates should visit United's website - www.united.com
<http://www.united.com/> -for further details on the hiring process.

New pilot hiring is an important step for our division and our company
- and this development underscores the growing competitive position of
United overall. We are looking for great pilots, but also for good
people who will be with United for a long time. If you know any good
candidates, I hope you will let them know and direct them to United's
website. We'll keep you posted as we move forward in this process. In the
meantime, thanks for listening and fly safe.

Each recipient of this email voluntarily enrolled to receive these
communications via SkyNet. To be removed from this distribution list or to
change your email address, log into SkyNet, select the "Personal Email
Update" link located in "Business Tools" and follow the prompts.
Please note that this link can only be accessed from a United computer and
not via the Internet. Please forward all questions regarding this
service to [email protected]. United's address is P.O. Box 66100,
Chicago, IL 60666.

From: MEC Membership Committee Chairman Captain Jeff Cramer

Today, the Company announced plans to hire new pilots in the August-September 2007 timeframe. Part of this new hire process will be the recruitment of Interview Captains. Information about these Interview Captain positions will be posted on SkyNet.

Qualifications for Interview Captains are as follows:
  • You must be a current line pilot
  • You must have 2,000 minimum hours as a UAL Captain
  • You must have a minimum three years UAL Captain experience
  • Evaluation experience is preferred, but not required.
Please note that Standards Captains, FODMs, management pilots or pilots on sick leave are not eligible to be Interview Captains.

The Interview Captain selection process will be modeled on the Line Check Airman process. Apply via SkyNet, and initial screenings will be made through your Flight Office. Finalists will interview with Human Resources and Flight Operations by mid-July.

For more information regarding the Interview Captain positions, contact me at [email protected].

Latest resources

Back