• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NMB Certifies JetBlue Election to Take Place

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You make $100,000 for example. All this means is that dues are based on the full 100k whether you sock away $13000 in a 401k or not.

Alpa doesn't "have their hands in your 401k" you just don't get a discount on dues simply because you contribute pre-tax retirement dollars.

Exactly. And frankly why should one Alpa pilot pay less than another based on his 401k contribution.

They both derive the same benefit and the same CBA. One should not bare a higher burden to subsidize the other.

Last edited:
Easy way to solve this issue, JUST VOTE NO!!!!!!!!! Just saying. But back to reality, I do love me some Alpa, hope it goes through cause I CANT WAIT TO PAY THOSE DUES!!!!!

When does the vote start? And when does it close?

Voting begins on Mar 25th and closes on Apr 22nd. The ballots and instructions will be mailed out on the 25th so it will take a few days to get to you. If you need to, please check BCSS to make sure your mailing address is correct.

If anyone still does not understand why we need to unionize after reading Barger's opinion below, than you are truly lost.

"The auto industry, the steel industry – these mature industries in the United States – they're healthy now because of foreign ownership, because of not being protected," he says. "Why are we sitting here with a statute that's 70 years old now?" JetBlue is a non-union company, just like Ryanair is, and Barger says that if it was a union firm, its model simply wouldn't work. It wouldn't have the freedom, he argues, to expand as it wished and to do things that separate it from older carriers.

He admires Scandinavian airline Norwegian, which has created an enormous hullabaloo by basing its long-haul arm in Dublin to give it rights to fly from the EU to the United States. US aviation unions have been waging an all-out battle in an effort to prevent the airline from being able to service US routes while being based in Ireland. They have claimed it's basing itself outside Norway so it can hire cheaper pilots and crew from Asia, something the airline denies.

In a recent opinion piece in a Florida newspaper, the head of Norwegian's long-haul arm, Bjorn Kjos, said the airline is "taking on the big guys to offer everyone affordable flights across the Atlantic".

"I applaud what they're attempting to do," says Barger, who concedes that even JetBlue may one day be competing with Norwegian's international arm. "I look at this rhetoric we're seeing in the United States with regard to what Norwegian is attempting to do and wait a minute, why is it the next idea is bad? Are we that threatened by a couple of (Boeing) 787s starting a service from Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale or to Kennedy?"

Agreed

Exactly. And frankly why should one Alpa pilot pay less than another based on his 401k contribution.

They both derive the same benefit and the same CBA. One should not bare a higher burden to subsidize the other.

Just like the majors subsidize the regionals at ALP_ as well. This is where conflict of interest occurs.....

Latest resources

Back