NJA Interview Info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My bad...

Nope... didn't make it up. That's been my understanding for many years for several different reasons, the main one of which was age 60 mandatory retirement for Part 121.

Evidently I was wrong, and I don't have time to go look it up - if someone else wants to post the related FAR that would be appreciated (not the one about first class medical for PIC Part 135 - that part I AM certain of, the one relating to age 60 Part 121 limit and/or First Class Medical limits).

I don't know how long you have been in the business of flying, but there is no FAR for medicals for age related issues, the FAR's only state the type of medical needed for the type of flying you are doing. We have a pilot at my company who is 72 and he still has a first class medical, even though we fly part 91, we fly all over the globe and ICAO rules require that both pilots must have a first class medical, especially europe, they love to ramp check for that and to see if both pilots have a type rating over there, but you can keep getting a first class medical till you can't get it any more, there is no age limit, you are mixing up PART 121 age 60 rule for retiring, that rule just means that if you work for a 121 operation, you are forced to retire at age 60, but you can keep on flying past 60 at a part 135 or 91 operation, again it has nothing to do with medicals

I just got called yesterday by a company doing a background check for NJ on a friend. Does that mean they're basically hired?TC

FlightOptions Pay Posted:

I added FlightOptions to www.airlinepilotpay.com tonight...

I'll be adding NetJets shortly; still needing Flexjet figures and whatever other fractionals I don't know about!

ukipilot said:
you are mixing up PART 121 age 60 rule for retiring
Evidently I was. I'll look it up when I get some free time after next week. Have what's probably one of the most important interviews of my life next week and I don't want to dip into the FAR's right now.

I don't know how long you have been in the business of flying...
Long enough to have been a Captain on every aircraft you see listed on the left. I didn't fly Part 135 for very long - only from '95 to '97 (all corporate after that in the Lear until I got into a Part 121 gig) and I remember hearing that was why our owner/D.O. didn't fly pax - he was over 60 and didn't have a 1st class medical (which was probably a lie meant to keep us from asking WHY he didn't have a 1st class med) and got that into my head.

No need to bash... jeez.

Last edited:
Don't forget that there is an ICAO aged 60 rule, which may apply if you are flying outside of the USA.

It applies to everything except GA (which Part 91 would fall under), so it would affect Part 135 flights.

RH

The ICAO rule does not include part 135, that rule governs airlines only, and not only that it is an ICAO rule, there are many asian airlines that don't use the age 60 rule, ICAO rules do not overrule individual country rules, just like when you fly to europe, they require both pilots to be type rated, here in the US we only require the pic to be type rated, ICAO rules require both pilots to be type rated, but we do not, so airlines here don't do it.

In other words, ICAO rules are just standards and nothing more

Not quite right I don't believe!

There are ICAO standards and ICAO Recommended Practices. Member states must apply ICAO standards and may have more restrictive rules. If a member state requires a less restrictive rule (like FAA, and as you mentioned Asia), then this must be approved as an exception to the ICAO standard.

Unless the state has a less-restrictive rule (like the FAA does) for age 60, then it cleary states 'scheduled, or non-scheduled air transport..blaa blaa.. renumeration for hire' - Most authorities/associations agree that this covers Part 121 AND Part 135, but not Part 91.

Everything but 'scheduled, or non-scheduled air transport' is GA as far as the ICAO is concerned, so unless you file your ICAO flight plan as 'General Aviation' (and you would not as Part 135), then the age 60 rule clearly applies.

RH

I can tell you that you are still wrong, I have been all over the globe, and have flown part 135 for most of my career, and have flown with plenty of pilots that were over 60 some hitting the 70 mark, have worked as a D.O. for a part 135 company that flew all INT'L, and know that member states have never held part 135 flights as scheduled, only 121, they hold other rules for everyone, like I said before with both pilots needing a type rating, but not part 135, I have worked with ICAO regs for years, and have regs for most member states and 135 has never been considered scheduled in any member state that we have flown in, can't say that for South Africa, one place that I have not been to, but then again, they are not a member state.

Latest resources

Back