NJA Domicile (Big Problem)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ghostrider64

Well guys I hate to admit it but we really overlooked this one. All new hires are allowed to choose a domicile (of the 5) but and it's a very big one. There is no mechanism in place that allows you to change your domicile (EVER) once you've decided which one it will be. The company may change this in the future but I wouldn't count on it. It seems some guys are finding out this the hard way.

So if you come here choose wisely because you may have to live with it for a very long long time.

We'll let you know if we hear of anyone successfully changing from one to another.

Sorry to contradict you ghostrider, but it you reread 13.2(b) in the contract you will see that new hires after ratification can declare a new home airport once they qualify for the HBA system. That will probably be a while if NJA leaves the percentage HBA where it is, but the company has the option of setting the percentage of pilots elligible for HBA anywhere they want between 30 and 100 percent so technically everyone could be eligible for HBA tomorrow if the company decided to make it so. Once you are eligible for HBA you can move airports to commute from any airport that qualifies for HBA as per paragraph 13.1, which is just about any decent sized airport in the 48 states. Of course if a new hire chooses to accept moving expense reimbursement for going to a domicile he/she forever forfeits the chance to get HBA later unless that is changed in the next contract.

Once you are in HBA, you can also change your airport that you commute from on a quarterly basis if you choose, as long as the new airport meets those HBA criteria. But you are right that once you choose one of the five domiciles, there is no way to change to one of the other domiciles until you qualify for HBA.

Last edited:
I hope new hires or potential new hires don't read this and think the Company is going to wave a magic wand and award a bunch of HBA's. The CBA does allow new hires to move to other airports but by the time they allow that the New Hires ain't gonna be New Hires anymore.....They'll be crusty, fractional,veterans just like us.

And for potential NJA applicants, do a search around here - it sounds like the company has limited the domicile choices down to 2 or 3, as of late.

I'LL clear up some rumors real quick. Just talked to DM for a while today and the domiciles are NOT closed. There are 5 still. They are only offering certain ones for certain interview dates though. Her boss may tell her, for instance, in this batch, we need CMH, PBI, and LAX, which is what happened last time, and she will select people who indicated on their app that they wanted one of those domiciles for interview. Next month they may fill TEB, DAL and CMH...so thats that...also, they are very close to being able to switch domiciles if you choose as well. The powers that be at the company are working with the union to make sure that everyone is happy with the process, thats whats taking so long. I am one of those who wish to change and was investigating at length today. I'll update when i find out more details.

It is what it is and it sux.

Rule number one at NJA... Anytime you read or hear the "company could if they wanted" you can bet your ass that means they won't. Just the reality of Netjets.

The company "will" only do the minimum of what is required by the CBA. That's the way it really is.

You can bet there will need to be at least 3000 pilots on the list before the HBA system opens to the first post ratification pilot.

Good luck SAE and keep us posted on the process. I truly hope you get to change at will. But I'm pretty sure the company is planning on cultivating the new hire vote to counteract the recent pledge fliers, during the next go round.

If it's anything like "we are opening up Seattle and Chicago next" It will be years.

Well, thanks for the info, SAEFlyer. And good luck to you and Ghostrider with regards to changing domiciles.

SAEflyer said:
I'LL clear up some rumors real quick. Just talked to DM for a while today and the domiciles are NOT closed. There are 5 still. They are only offering certain ones for certain interview dates though. Her boss may tell her, for instance, in this batch, we need CMH, PBI, and LAX, which is what happened last time, and she will select people who indicated on their app that they wanted one of those domiciles for interview. Next month they may fill TEB, DAL and CMH...so thats that...also, they are very close to being able to switch domiciles if you choose as well. The powers that be at the company are working with the union to make sure that everyone is happy with the process, thats whats taking so long. I am one of those who wish to change and was investigating at length today. I'll update when i find out more details.

Sounds like they are trying to balance the numbers at each domicile. If they are selecting interviewees based on the indicated domicile preference, I'd say that's a bit of good news...

Latest resources

Back