NJ typical reserve schedule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CRJFlyer

Can anyone give an idea of a typical reserve schedule? Is it closer to an airline schedule (4-5 on and 3 off)?

Also for the HB guys (or for everyone, assuming homebasing does come back this year or next), is it allowed to bid the reserve schedule from your HB? It seems for the guys that are former airline this would be a great deal. Positve space form your home airport, do a 3,4,or 5 day trip and then get positive space home, AND make more $$$ than the 7/7 schedule.

thanks

Another question...

does anyone fly into LGA or JFK to get to TEB...I would have pass priveleges to get to JFK easily...

How long does it take to get from JFK to TEB using the MTA and New J. Transit? I estimated about 2-2.5 hrs. from the transit websites. And its been a few years since I regularly rode the MTA.

The reserve schedule (terrible name) is closer to a 121 schedule. You do 4,5,6,7 day trips with no real pattern to them. It kinda depends on how your H days are set, upcoming training, start dates for the 7/7 guys in your fleet, etc.... I am a HBA person and kind of like it. There are only 2 start days on my fleet and if my first day of duty is not one of them, I will see on duty at residence, which I am on right now, from time to time.

I used to like it, but now it sucks. Somehow, as a PHX based guy, I have had 0400 and 0500 shows for east coast tours for a year straight. Kinda makes you wonder how that airline $$$ could have been better spent, but I'm just a pilot.
7 and 7 here I come.

I too am on the reserve and have noticed it has gotten worse than it used to. I used to get 7 on and 7 off and get paid reserve pay, seems they are finding better ways to utilize reserve crews. This month they have my tentative schedule as 4 on 3 off the entire month (M-Th on / Fri-Sun off) which isn't all that terrible but I personally like 7n7 better. The extra $$ is very nice though so hard say which is better, personal preference I guess.

QOL on reserve really depends on what fleet you are in. I am in the Encore and its been good to me. This month I will work 15 days, seems to be about average for me. My schedule for the month was 1 day on (carry over from tour from last month) 8 days off, 7 days on, 7 days off, 7 days on, 1 day off. Like the others said your on/off breakdown varies wildly from month to month. I've been on reserve since I joined the company and I can't compain. It does make it a bit harder to plan your life but if you can accomodate that the extra cash is really nice.

Can anyone give an idea of a typical reserve schedule? Is it closer to an airline schedule (4-5 on and 3 off)?

Also for the HB guys (or for everyone, assuming homebasing does come back this year or next), is it allowed to bid the reserve schedule from your HB? It seems for the guys that are former airline this would be a great deal. Positve space form your home airport, do a 3,4,or 5 day trip and then get positive space home, AND make more $$$ than the 7/7 schedule.

thanks

CRJFlyer,

The "reserve" schedule at NJA is nothing like any schedule at the airlines. Please know that any schedule you might be aware of at the beginning of the month and/or at the beginning of your tour is subject to change. The company can and will change your schedule -- with a number of exceptions and limitations.

Secondly, please do not assume or expect to be an HBA pilot anytime soon -- i.e. within a year or two. Please do not base your future decisions on assumptions, promisses, and/or expectations no one can predict -- i.e. NO ONE knows at this point when, whether, and/or what will happen with the domiciles. The only thing ANYONE can tell you is that at this point you will be a domicile pilot for the foreseable future. I would love to see HBA's open up to all pilots; however, that is not the reality at this point in time.

Last edited:
To clarify, for HB floks sitting reserve, you are at home until scheduling notifies you to go to the airport or already at the airport?

The reserve schedule is EXACTLY like the 7 on 7 off schedule with the exception that it's not 7 on 7 off. There is no such thing as sitting on reserve at Netjets, they should change the name to the sometimes 4 on 3 off, sometimes 7 on 4 off sometimes 7 on 7 off schedule would be a better name.

Or the sometimes 5 on 6 off or the sometimes 6 on 3 off schedule, they have you for 18 days per month instead of 15 days per month on the 7 on 7 off schedule, your first day is not sitting reserve, it starts exactly like a first day of the 7 on 7 off schedule, you either show at the airport FBO or Airline somewhere or show at home.

Last edited:
they should change the name to the sometimes 4 on 3 off, sometimes 7 on 4 off sometimes 7 on 7 off schedule would be a better name.

Or the sometimes 5 on 6 off or the sometimes 6 on 3 off schedule, they have you for 18 days per month instead of 15 days per month on the 7 on 7 off schedule, your first day is not sitting reserve, it starts exactly like a first day of the 7 on 7 off schedule, you either show at the airport FBO or Airline somewhere or show at home.

LOL...Now that was funny.

Latest resources

Back