• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
By DAVID A. LIEB
Associated Press Writer

October 15, 2004, 5:15 AM EDT

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- A small jet with no passengers went down in a residential area of eastern Jefferson City, damaging a building, authorities said.

Only the pilot and co-pilot were aboard the CRJ2, a two-engine regional jet that could seat up to 50 people, Jefferson City police Capt. Michael Smith said. The plane was operated by Memphis-based Pinnacle Airlines, a regional carrier affiliated with Northwest Airlines, Northwest spokesman Kurt Ebenhouch said.

There was no immediate information about injuries, either to anyone in the plane or on the ground in the neighborhood just north of U.S. 50 a few miles east of downtown. The plane damaged a building, but Smith said early Friday morning that the structure was not believed to be a house.

"As of yet, we have recovered no bodies," Smith said.

Neither major hospital in the city reported receiving victims from the crash.

Smith said the plane was apparently experiencing engine problems when it went down after 10 p.m. Thursday night.

Smith said the plane had left from Little Rock, Ark., and was heading to Minneapolis-St. Paul. The pilot and co-pilot were returning the plane to Minneapolis when they tried make an emergency landing at an airport near Jefferson City, Ebenhouch said.

Police evacuated a roughly three-block area near the crash site and weren't allowing any vehicles near the area, Smith said. U.S. 50 remained open.

"One aircraft engine was along the road. There was some debris in a tree, and a burned area," Smith said. "You could still smell the fuel."

The National Transportation Safety Board and Pinnacle were sending people to the crash site.

Amanda Clemons, 24, said she heard the plane crash and could see the site from her Jefferson City apartment.

"I felt the apartment shake. I thought it was thunder at first, and then maybe an earthquake," Clemons said in a telephone interview.

Also Thursday, a small plane crashed near some townhouses in the south Chicago suburb of Joliet, Ill., killing the pilot, police said. No one on the ground was injured.

The plane took off from the Joliet Regional Airport just before 8 p.m., but turned around a short time later and tried to land, officer Chris Gombosi said.

"It sounded like a car wreck," said Rick Klett, who said he was in his garage across the street from the crash, which occurred a few hundred feet from the subdivision.

(LEADS with 10 grafs to correct airplane's passenger capacity, officials now saying damaged building not believed to be a house, DELETE outdated reference to officials not knowing plane's departure and destination cities, UPDATE no bodies yet found and hospitals reporting no victims, NTSB investigating; pickup 10th graf pvs 'Amanda Clemons ...'. ADDS photo numbers.)

For such a safe airplane, this is bad news. But it still is a safe airplane, but it sounds as that initial reports make is sound like engine trouble, an empty plane on 1 engine would be no problem. Now a double engine failure, that's interesting, I bet they went to LIT and grabbed samples of the fuel ASAP. It will be interesting to follow this one.

Video at www.kstp.com

Please pray for the pilots and thier loved ones.

MEMPHIS, TN--(MARKET WIRE)--Oct 15, 2004 -- A Pinnacle Airlines (NasdaqNM:pNCL - News) repositioning flight was involved in an accident last night at 10:30 p.m. Central Time. The incident occurred just outside Jefferson City, MO. The flight departed Little Rock, AR at approximately 9:21 p.m. Central Time and was enroute to Minneapolis - St. Paul, MN. There were no passengers or flight attendants on board. The two pilots on board the aircraft did not survive the incident. The names are not released pending notification of the next of kin.

ADVERTISEMENT
"I am greatly saddened by the loss of our crew," said Philip H. Trenary, President & CEO of Pinnacle Airlines. "My prayers and the prayers of all Pinnacle People are with their family and loved ones."

Pinnacle Airlines is cooperating with the National Transportation Safety Board on this investigation.

Pinnacle Airlines, Inc., operates under the name Northwest Airlink and provides service to destinations in the United States and Canada. Pinnacle operates an all-jet fleet of Canadair 44 and 50-seat Regional Jets from Northwest hubs at Detroit, Memphis and Minneapolis - St. Paul. Pinnacle Airlines maintains its headquarters in Memphis, Tenn., and employs more than 2,800 People. For further information, please contact Philip Reed, Vice-President, Marketing at 901-348-4257, or visit our web-site at www.nwairlink.com.

Godspeed to the crew and their families...

A sad day for Pinnacle to be sure. My prayers are with you all.

I have a good friend over there and can't reach him or his parents this morning. If any of you Pinnacle folks have a chance to send a PM confirming that neither pilot's initials were SL it sure would ease my mind...

MSP Based crew??

Does anyone know if the crew was actually based in MSP? That would at least ease the minds of those of us who have friends based elsewhere.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back