• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

avrodriver

Skybus Commits to Purchase 65 Airbus Jets

Thursday October 26, 6:00 am ET
-- Low cost base, reliability cited in acquisition of A319s --

COLUMBUS, Ohio, Oct. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- Skybus Airlines -- the Next Generation of Low-Fare Airlines -- announced today it has signed a firm contract to purchase 65 Airbus A319 jet aircraft. Skybus will launch nonstop service to major U.S. markets from its Port Columbus base of operations in the spring of 2007.

"We've carried out extensive research to ensure this aircraft can deliver our mission -- really low fares and very reliable service," said Bill Diffenderffer, Skybus Chief Executive Officer. "We believe the lower cost base and reliability of the A319, coupled with our unique way of doing business, will make for an unbeatable offering for our customers as we grow our business and offer more low-fare destinations."
The first of these A319s will be delivered in late 2008. As it builds an all-Airbus fleet, Skybus has already arranged for leased A319s to meet its aircraft needs prior to the arrival of the purchased aircraft.
"The Airbus A319 is a 'state of the art' aircraft with the latest electronics and flight instrument equipment," said Ken Gile, Skybus President. "It fits perfectly with our business model, which includes high utilization of aircraft and quick turnaround times on the ground."
Airbus officials said the Skybus order was among the largest ever received from a startup U.S.-based carrier.
"It is exciting to get in on the ground floor of such a promising operation as Skybus," said John Leahy, Airbus Chief Operating Officer. "It has been a few years since an order of this meaning and magnitude has come from a low-cost start-up airline, and we are professionally flattered that Skybus has turned to the A319 as the core of its fleet. It's a true testament to the airline's confidence in our product and our people."
The A319 program was launched in 1993, with the first aircraft entering service in 1996. The A319 is the third derivative in the popular Airbus A320 family, which has generated firm orders for more than 4,500 aircraft from 166 customers.
The standard A319 seats 124 passengers. Skybus has not announced the specific seating configuration of its aircraft, but the airline will use a single-class configuration for all of its flights.
Financial terms of the order were not announced.

We will be at the following Career Fairs:

Date: 11/11/2006
Description: We will be seeking Pilot candidates at the Air Inc job fair at the Renaissance Concourse Hotel @ ATL airport. The job fair is from 4pm-8pm

Sounds like old Kit wasted no time in signing them up

Hmm, CMH is already a decent size SWA market, as well as USAir (who think they are a LCC). I wouldn't be surprised if JBlue and Airtran jump in there as well. This should be interesting.

GREAT that is all this POS industry needs is more seats on the market. Capacity cuts is the main reason the industry is coming back to health.

What are the expected pilot hiring numbers through 2006 and into 2007? What is the predicted aircraft delivery schedule?

GREAT that is all this POS industry needs is more seats on the market. Capacity cuts is the main reason the industry is coming back to health.

this is the problem with capacity cuts. Some LCC will come into the market and add that capacity right back. Of course I think the majors are in a better position to win these fights now.

$$

Want to know what they're going to pay? I'll give you a hint, they fly 319s and this is posted on the regional board.... I'm sure you'll be able to at least hit $92 after 15 years of service with them.

I don't think Skybus is going to make it before the Majors, and other LCC get togeather and put a quick end to this fiasco.........if you want to know about the quality of Skybus employment and what they will have to offer, look no further than Ryan Air over in Ireland. Their business model is going to be a near carbon copy of them. Oh, and the operating cost is boasted as being 1/2 to 3/4 that of current LCC's. Gee, I wonder where they are going to save money??? Geez, every moron with some expendable cash wants to own or start an airline nowadays. When will people get the picture!?!

Crappy pilot pay
Outsourced everything (including maintenance)
Bare minimum necessities (no catering either)
Airplanes don't even have window shades

Are we getting the picture here? Oh, wait- here's the perfect airline for all you ALPA haters out there! This one is definately for you- because I'm sure there won't be a union anywhere in sight for this travesty.

Latest resources

Back