New SWA record at 380+ trips a month?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the SWA homers have been a lot more detrimental to this site than GL

You only think that because you're one of the Southwest haters. I mean, how many times have you and I been round and round on your anti-SWA ideals and rhetoric? You hate what happened in HOU, even to the point of misrepresenting facts. You rail against SWA in DAL, even though it doesn't concern you. You even keep offering "thousands" of your own money to "fight" Southwest.

But hey, that's just my opinion. :)

Bubba

For non-Swa guys, currently at Swa we are suppose to be wearing a dark tie with our union pin on to show unity. Count how many flag ties you still see every day in the terminal.

It's all because of ego, ask them why no dark and the answer is, "I just love getting compliments on my flag tie from pax".

Then ask why no union pin on the tie and it's, "oh mine never came in the mail or I gave it to a pax".

Yet these compliment starved guys will only tip $1 to van drivers, brag about how much premium they fly and refuse to let the APU be started outside of 5 minutes from departure.

You only think that because you're one of the Southwest haters. I mean, how many times have you and I been round and round on your anti-SWA ideals and rhetoric? You hate what happened in HOU, even to the point of misrepresenting facts. You rail against SWA in DAL, even though it doesn't concern you. You even keep offering "thousands" of your own money to "fight" Southwest.

But hey, that's just my opinion. :)

Bubba

And as you often do, you make my point for me

Without being drug into specifics of our debates, consider the big picture. If I juxtapose something that even slightly competes with what is held among SWA people as the "truth", I get a 5,000 word response from you, 10 links from Howie, and about 10 others that shout me down. It's a lot worse than one member with 20,000 posts IMO. Just look at this thread's originator: He's hijacking his own thread to go after GL. This repeats itself over and over on here.

Last edited:
Well i did 160 without even trying one month and I am not that senior. Did not pick up anything. Most the guys say I should average 150 even commuting while living in base average 200 over the summer picking up. Still learning the system. At 70% in base and commute one leg.

Any good numbers out there based on seniority and commuting or living in base?

I've been here 20 years, and my all time best month was 137, and it was a miserable month. I'm doing 130 this month, only because I got a 54 tfp (POT) 4 day, out of domicile (which was a first for me). The trip was a ball buster, and honestly, I would probably not do that again. It simply wasn't worth it.

I actually wanted to hit 150 this month, but between not being able to move stuff around due to all of the ELITT "gains" in this contract, coupled with the SWApA SL 17 "gains" that synthetically restrict almost everything trade I try to make, I wasn't able to do it.

If you're averaging 150 while commuting, you're definitely working a lot, either actually flying, or while being tied to the smart phone or CWA when you're not. 150, in domicile, isn't too difficult if you can clear your board, don't mind risking a small check if you can't score the POT and keep your block low. It's also very seasonal. 150+ is much easier in the summer months than in Jan or February, unless you can capitalize on a MDW Meltdown, caused by a Polar Vortex or the like.

The lack of flexibility when commuting is what kills your chances at POT. I live 3 hours drive from domicile, and I figure that my lack of flexibility has cost me $30-$50k per year by not being able to take advantage of the POT game.

If you're junior, you're not likely to regularly score any good premium on DOT (Heck, I'm not that junior and I rarely get anything in DOT).

The most common way for a junior guy to get good premium trips is via the HOT or SNOT system, both of which are of limited use to a commuter unless there is a DH and you can get to the trip from your commuter city.

As a commuter, you will be busting your butt for 150+ tfp IMHO.

Last edited:
Thx for the OP info Tri. That helps. I am just thinking even if I move to a base I will not have the seniority to do much at around 70% from the top?

Thx for the OP info Tri. That helps. I am just thinking even if I move to a base I will not have the seniority to do much at around 70% from the top?

Aside from making this job much easier, the biggest difference between living in base vs. commuting is that you are already in place for the short notice stuff. Commuting is a major PITA. It's like working an extra few days per month for free. I did the airplane commute for 10 years, and have been doing a long (3-4 hours of real life Pole Position) drive commute for 14. Both suck, but the long drive is 1000 times better than the airplane commute, and still 1000 times worse than living a reasonable distance (+- an hour) from base.

Talking to some of the high tfp players that I fly with (many of whom make as much or more than I do), most of which are not that senior, the short notice stuff is the most likely way for a junior guy to get POT. But it's like being on reserve and you have to be available to do it.

The other side of the coin is getting rid of your trips. Very few people will pick up a weekend reserve block or weekend 4 day trip.

You need some bidding horsepower to get lines including turns and 2 days that don't start on Fri, Sat or a holiday that you can give away and or ELITT to whittle down the number of trips on your board. This process starts when your line is posted on your board on the 11th, and continues all month, every month. It is a lot of work IME.

That's me too...almost identical.

KP and -9,

You need to re-read the post you quoted from Lost (Post number 11). Not picking up POT will just lead to more JA. You think the company cares what they need to do to keep the schedule they published? Please.

If general Lee was a real pilot he would know that Nrita, London, Midland, Odeasa. All the same 5-10k foot piece of concrete. Who gives a damn. You can get the same beer anywhere you go. The only thing that matters is how much $$$ you make, and how much time off you get while making that $$$. Anything in country is preferable to me anyway. Customs, class 2, an ocean between me and home sucks anyway. Enjoy your ice cream cones and customs. I'll take my 'Merican speaking controllers any day.

This month I'm at 165 trips with 13 days off.....and its a ball buster. And I commute which has made it worse. Its nice to be able to ramp it up if you want. But, I'm looking forward to a slower September....105 trips with 18 days off. I like long overnights where I can relax, eat while not rushing, coffee, crap, and exercise.

You will in the summer months. I'm close to the bottom in my base and got a premium 4-day that overlapped vacation in July. This summer in particular was unique in how junior the gravy went. But even when I was in the 50-70% range as an FO, you can still do well from March thru August.

The door on open time will slam shut in September and won't reopen until the holidays and/or a big weather event. Living in base definitely helps, as you can get the stuff that's close in, whereas commuters are relegated to DOT and some HOT the night before, for the most part.

Latest resources

Back