Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New SWA chief of training, a good thing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not being defensive at all. Just love how some of the AAI jokers think that one of their technological geniuses will lift this place out of the 70's. It's not the person, it's the mindset in Dallas. Will he be willing to TELL the brass how to do things HIS way, or will he just fold like a card table and shut up to ensure his longevity in Dallas? Time will tell, apparently the AAI crowd are confident he will do the former, I'll be waiting.

Baby steps. The fact that they offered any of our guys some sort of a position of responsibility tells me that some of that mindset in Dallas is starting to change. Who ever on the SWA side that is responsible for that is the key. I don't think any of the AT guys SWA has picked to help out on the other side if the partion are "my way or the highway guys". They were all worker bees who replaced their former bosses on the flight ops side. SWA also picked up our former VP of customer service ( which include the ramp and the gate). I see slowly adopting a more rigid approach to first flight of the day on time performance and hopefully adjusting the pax count working the ramp. Time will tell.

I have to agree with Canyonblue.

I'm glad to see progression toward the Ipad. W&B via ACARS will be a step backward. If we go that route, then you can expect to pull into the hammerhead and wait for your numbers. You'll be running one engine, but waiting long enough that it will burn down to the two engine (taxi-out) level in the end. So where's the savings?

You won't leave the gate without your numbers. It's called aerodata. Fully automated. Takes 20 secs. No waiting.

*you can leave the gate and still get your numbers, just to clarify. Those situations are few and far in between. Normally gate to antennae issue. Ramp throws 5 extra bags on? No problem. Add them in and resend. Once you see it, you will appreciate it. Like using a printer for things like atis or the pax count.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Canyonblue.

I'm glad to see progression toward the Ipad. W&B via ACARS will be a step backward. If we go that route, then you can expect to pull into the hammerhead and wait for your numbers.

Come on, Red . . . . When have you ever seen an AirTran plane pulled over "waiting for the numbers"? ;)

In 9 years on the 737, I don't believe I've ever had to do that, unless it was something extremely unusual.

If true I personally think its a good move. He is a great guy and has done really well for AAI. Give him a chance and I think you guys will like him. I believe his initials are G C.

edited for stupidity

Last edited:
W&B via ACARS will be a step backward.

AT uses ACARS...its not "we're-waiting-on-our-numbers" ACARS like you're thinking of. Once you have he pax/bags info from the agent at the gate you have the numbers in 30 sec or less. They're all loaded in the MCDU prior to push just like here with the OPC.

....see, what those guys said. :)

Last edited:
You won't leave the gate without your numbers. It's called aerodata. Fully automated. Takes 20 secs. No waiting.

*you can leave the gate and still get your numbers, just to clarify. Those situations are few and far in between. Normally gate to antennae issue. Ramp throws 5 extra bags on? No problem. Add them in and resend. Once you see it, you will appreciate it. Like using a printer for things like atis or the pax count.

+1. We never wait for numbers. It literally takes seconds to receive your requested data. And if you need to add last minute bags, it's a one minute change. Also, changing runways takes about 5 seconds. It's literally a matter of pressing a couple buttons and it is done.

Hold on, I'm putting 2 and 2 together...JetBlue just transitioned to Aerodata last week. Is merger mania done with?! :p

Latest resources

Back