• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Rest Rules tomorrow, 12/21/11

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
See, wave, we can agree occasionally. ;)

Just as an off shoot, and a WTF moment reading those 330+ pages. On the subject of reduced rest below the 10 hours. ATA wanted reduced rest provisions, ALPA AGREED with them. Really?!?!? Anyways, FAA said, nope, we are dealing with fixing rest. Fix your schedules so you don't have to reduce rest.....

Really ALPA?

The snowball rolling down the hill is irregular operations. Say you divert, hit the 8 hour point, however now we can fly to 9. But the scheduled flight is 61 minutes from divert to overnight, now you're done when before you could have kept going till you cried uncle.

Or better, lets say you hit the 8 hr point after you diverted, the flight from divert to overnight airfield is 30 minutes with a 31 minute divert flight because it's still at minimums. I consider I will need to account for all possible flight time, including another divert. And yes, I have diverted twice in one day.

Last edited:
Just as an off shoot, and a WTF moment reading those 330+ pages. On the subject of reduced rest below the 10 hours. ATA wanted reduced rest provisions, ALPA AGREED with them. Really?!?!? Anyways, FAA said, nope, we are dealing with fixing rest. Fix your schedules so you don't have to reduce rest.....

Really ALPA?

Is this for real? If so that says a lot.

Really ALPA?

To help out- crzi- can you tell us where you saw that?

Rest to begin behind closed door didn't seem to make it in.
They did better. 10 hours free from duty. At my airline duty ends 15 minutes after block in and starts 30 prior to block out. 10:45 block to block is better than a lot of pairings currently provide.

Then there's 8 hours of uninterrupted rest. I'm not resting when I'm showering and getting ready for the day. I would interpret this as 8 hours from door closed to alarm goes off. For me, 8:45 behind the door.

They did better. 10 hours free from duty. At my airline duty ends 15 minutes after block in and starts 30 prior to block out. 10:45 block to block is better than a lot of pairings currently provide.
You must have some really crappy pairings, I haven't done less than a 10 hour overnight in months, and maybe only one or two in the last year.

Then there's 8 hours of uninterrupted rest. I'm not resting when I'm showering and getting ready for the day. I would interpret this as 8 hours from door closed to alarm goes off. For me, 8:45 behind the door.
Not sure how you got that out of the reg.

It's 8 hours behind the door. If it's going to be less than that because of delays getting to the hotel or checking in, you can adjust it accordingly, but it's not 8 hours plus time to get ready and get downstairs... nice try though. ;)

Latest resources

Back